Advice for Stuttering Applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D0uc124

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been in the US for 7 years, but because of the chronic stuttering and heavy accent, it's really difficult for everyone else to understand what I try to say. (Normally I have to repeat the same sentence several times, even then, they still misunderstand what I said) So without a doubt, my social life is pretty hell.

Nonetheless, I am still an ambitious Asian kid desiring to get to medical school. My grades are not bad, and if I somehow land an interview, what should I do to explain my situation (not only my speech disorder but also my social skill) to the interviewer? I'm concerned bc I heard med school interviews are known to weed out socially awkward candidates, at least from what I heard :( Btw, I've never been diagnosed with anything since I never talk to therapist or physician due to money, but my stuttering is really obvious that everybody would giggle/laugh when they first heard me talking.

TL;DR: I need some advice on interviewing for medical schools with stuttering and heavy Asian accent, followed by poor social skills

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean by faking? What should I fake?

Members don't see this ad :)
Practice talking out loud as often as possible. I do it for public speaking because my voice gets out of control shaky and it's really helped to keep it under control. Maybe look into resources online and insurance through your state (CA has Medi-cal for low income residents and legal immigrants, maybe your state has something similar). On interview day I would contact schools ahead of time and see if they can accommodate/let interviewers know ahead of time about your stuttering.

In all honesty though I wouldn't apply to medical school until I have the stuttering/accent a little more under control so people can understand. A huge part of medicine is communication and if your patients, peers, attendings, and staff can't understand you it can be a major problem in your daily life. In the time being work on trying to improve how much people can understand you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Advice for stuttering applicants

/Open thread

Don't Stutter.

/Close Thread

*edit*

Get yourself into speech therapy or at least get diagnosed. That way you have a paper trail to point to and they will be less likely to hold it against you.