Advice for TFA Alum Nontrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virginiaisfordentists

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am applying next cycle and would appreciate any insight into a nontraditional path.

A little about myself, I graduated in 2012 and did Teach For America from 2012-2014. I decided to apply to dental school and have been taking the pre reqs at a local community college. My science GPA in undergrad was horrible but currently I have a 4.0 in my classes taken post bac. I have a little less than a year to prepare and need advice on other things I can do to beef up my app.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I would suggest switching to a four year program and make sure to kill it on your DAT. Making a career change in general is always more difficult because you need to be able to prove to the schools why you are sure in your decision this time. Having great stats can only help this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I would suggest switching to a four year program and make sure to kill it on your DAT. Making a career change in general is always more difficult because you need to be able to prove to the schools why you are sure in your decision this time. Having great stats can only help this.
I graduated from UVA with a double major but unfortunately can't afford a 4 year univ. right now. My edu. grant will only cover all of the credits I need to take if i take them at a CC. I'll be taking the DAT in March so I've got enough time to kill it like you, you're stats are amazing!

I graduated from UVA with a double major but unfortunately can't afford a 4 year univ. right now. My edu. grant will only cover all of the credits I need to take if i take them at a CC. I'll be taking the DAT in March so I've got enough time to kill it like you, you're stats are amazing!

As a fellow UVA grad, go Hoos! I completely understand where you are coming from. I think you would just need to check with the schools you plan on applying at to figure out if they accept the pre-reqs from there. Good luck on your courses and also on the DAT!

Reactions: 1 user