Advice for the "exposure to osteopathic medicine" secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Les93

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am finishing up my primary apps and planning to start prewriting secondaries soon. It has become evident to me that most of the DO secondaries will ask about exposure to osteopathic med and why that exposure drew you into the profession. Anyone have any tips for writing this kind of essay? I feel like there is a lot of room for error with this one and that adcoms are looking for something specific. I have shadowed DOs in different specialties and can talk about how and why I liked those docs, but is there something else that should be discussed for this prompt?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're having this much difficulty answering basic, straightforward questions on secondaries, interviews are probably going to be very unpleasant for you.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're having this much difficulty answering basic, straightforward questions on secondaries, interviews are probably going to be very unpleasant for you.
I wouldn’t say it’s a difficult question by any means but it is high stakes, as this whole process is, and I want to do a good job.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn’t say it’s a difficult question by any means but it is high stakes, as this whole process is, and I want to do a good job.

The best way to do a good job is to write clearly and honestly about your personal experiences -- not to borrow canned, generic ideas from people on online forums.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all, I am finishing up my primary apps and planning to start prewriting secondaries soon. It has become evident to me that most of the DO secondaries will ask about exposure to osteopathic med and why that exposure drew you into the profession. Anyone have any tips for writing this kind of essay? I feel like there is a lot of room for error with this one and that adcoms are looking for something specific. I have shadowed DOs in different specialties and can talk about how and why I liked those docs, but is there something else that should be discussed for this prompt?

Personally, the only experience with osteopathic medicine I had was several OMM manipulations for my finger that I broke a while back. For this kind of essay, I wrote about my shadowing experiences when I shadowed a Geriatric PCP and stated that "although she wasn't formally trained in osteopathic medicine, her practice did not fall short of its tenets as she emphasized patient centered care, prevention, etc." Since you have experience with DOs, I'd recommend you use those experiences and perhaps outline possible similarities that each physician had that can be derived from their osteopathic upbringing.

Just talk about your personal experience with osteopath medicine and shadowing DO's. If they didn't practice that much different than a MD, then that should clue you into what to write about. ;)

Just answer the question and stop overthinking. WHAT is your exposure????

Just answer the question. And don’t lie about it. OMM profs can smell when you are BSing about OMM.