gnomeski

7+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
hi all,
-until recently i was planning on self-studying this summer for the mcat
-recently decided/heavily leaning towards taking the berkeley review prep course at ucla
-sessions go from may 15-july 25, june 12-august 18, or june 19-august 18. (the last two sessions are increasingly more dense)
-would like to take the mcat back home in LA in august before i have to go back to school at the very end of the month. i was advised to give myself ~2-3weeks after the course ends for more practice tests and to decompress. unless i take mcat aug 24, signing up for one of the 2 later sessions means taking the mcat back at school once ive moved in for senior year.

the issue: session 1 is perfect in terms of my schedule. but i also have the opportunity to go out of the country to latin america to work/shadow a doc in a small village. originally i wanted to go for 4-5 weeks, but now i'm not sure i even have time to go at all.

i can't decide if it's worth trying to squeeze in a shorter trip ~2weeks in may-june before the course starts. also i'd have to take the mcat in september after classes start and i've moved into my new apt. there's really no other time for me to take this trip and be able to include it in my applications though. gpa is fine but nothing great.

thanks for reading. i can't make my mind up!

Dec 13, 2009
Loooziana
Status
Medical Student
well, im guessing that you're applying in june, right? id say if you really wanna do the trip, do the shorter version (2 wks). then do the class, and mcat later. but why wouldnt you be able to do the mcat in august still? when do classes start up? im just not getting why you'd be taking the sept mcat if you did the trip.

gnomeski

7+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
well, im guessing that you're applying in june, right? id say if you really wanna do the trip, do the shorter version (2 wks). then do the class, and mcat later.
thanks. i'm going to apply june after senior year. im a junior right now. but i want to get the mcat done this summer.

but why wouldnt you be able to do the mcat in august still? when do classes start up? im just not getting why you'd be taking the sept mcat if you did the trip.
i guess that's where i'm looking for advice. a tbr rep and previous student recommended 2 weeks after the course ends (aug 18). i need to be back on campus aug 30. so id have to take the test aug 24, but having not studying the mcat before im not sure if i'll have taken enough practice tests/be prepared 6 days after the last class. :scared::confused:

without the trip i will have more mcat time obviously. but the trip could be great as well as something to mention on my apps and i might still be fine taking a more condensed course quickly followed by the test.

Dec 13, 2009
Loooziana
Status
Medical Student
well.....i didnt take any class, but yall are taking tests and stuff during the class too, right? bc im pretty sure how the courses work. if thats the case, and you actually got something from the class, id think you'd be prepared about a week after the class.

but honestly, if you feel like you could study for the test by yourself, do that. dont wanna spend 2K and then leave the class feeling like you didnt get much from it.