Advice for upcoming application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toofpaste

MD Class of 2018
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How many hours are in your week? 30 hours a week doing research (which is over 1500 in a year FYI) plus 40 hours a week in a foreign country and going to school? I'm impressed!!

In all seriousness I think you have a great chance. Keep your apps and objective focused with a cohesive story. Apply early and to lots of schools. Good luck!!!

How many hours are in your week? 30 hours a week doing research (which is over 1500 in a year FYI) plus 40 hours a week in a foreign country and going to school? I'm impressed!!

In all seriousness I think you have a great chance. Keep your apps and objective focused with a cohesive story. Apply early and to lots of schools. Good luck!!!

I said 720+ hours because I wanted to give a modest number. You're right, the actual number is likely closer to 1200 (I started in June last year). Working this much in lab while in grad school has been strenuous. I don't get to see the gf, family, or friends as much. It has helped that I love the work I do and my mentor is easily the best professor/mentor I have ever had.

Regarding my foreign volunteering experience - I did it over the summer and had nothing else going on at the time. The doc usually worked 12 hour days for 6 days/week. I couldn't keep up with him, so I stuck to more of a 9-5/Mon-Fri schedule, and tried to sightsee over the weekend.

Thanks for your comment!