Advice from all Texas dental school applicants/ students please?

May 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi all!

My friend was talking to a dentist he was shadowing about reapplying to dental school since he prolly wont get in this cycle. His science gpa is about a 3.0 and overall is a 3.2. He asked him if he thinks that a high DAT score (22+) would help his science gpa out and help grant an interview and the dentist said" not a chance. They only care about gpa." He felt discouraged because he doesn't know what else to do. His one year of post bac gpa was a 3.7+ btw. After hearing that, I felt worried myself because I'm kinda in the same position..
We would greatly appreciate any advice y'all would have.
Thank you

Illfavor

5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2012
Texas
Status
Pre-Dental
Of the 3 schools, Baylor cares most about academics. A higher DAT does help counteract GPA, but only so much. 3.2 is very low in Texas, just read the published TMDSAS stats. Your chances go down significantly when you go below 3.4. It seems the TX schools care less about upward trends than others may, but I could be wrong. Your friend needs to keep raising his GPA with tough science course or do an SMP. He should also ask the schools what he should do. Did he interview?

slm266

Dentist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2008
Status
Dentist
Baylor seems to care most about a "heavy science background and history of giving back to the community" (according to Dr Miller, head of admissions). We are also really big on diversity.

You are probably going to have to apply to additional OOS schools that are more expensive where you'll be more competitive. If you wanna maximize your chances at Baylor I'd take as many of the science classes that they recommend for DS beyond the prereqs. Know your future options if you don't get any acceptances due to your GPA (post bac, masters,...)

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
Hi all!

My friend was talking to a dentist he was shadowing about reapplying to dental school since he prolly wont get in this cycle. His science gpa is about a 3.0 and overall is a 3.2. He asked him if he thinks that a high DAT score (22+) would help his science gpa out and help grant an interview and the dentist said" not a chance. They only care about gpa." He felt discouraged because he doesn't know what else to do. His one year of post bac gpa was a 3.7+ btw. After hearing that, I felt worried myself because I'm kinda in the same position..
We would greatly appreciate any advice y'all would have.
Thank you
Unless your friend bagged a 22, there is not much to discuss, except that your friend's dentist has not looked at the range of gpa of enrollees.

OP
T
May 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
Of the 3 schools, Baylor cares most about academics. A higher DAT does help counteract GPA, but only so much. 3.2 is very low in Texas, just read the published TMDSAS stats. Your chances go down significantly when you go below 3.4. It seems the TX schools care less about upward trends than others may, but I could be wrong. Your friend needs to keep raising his GPA with tough science course or do an SMP. He should also ask the schools what he should do. Did he interview?
Hi Illfavor,

I thought SA was the one that cared the most about academics?
either way, he did not get an interview this cycle. But what you said about the upward trend is a bit troubling for him since I told him that an upward trend should def. help like if you do a post bac and whatnot. He took a year off to do a post bac if that's what you're asking.

Illfavor

5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2012
Texas
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi Illfavor,

I thought SA was the one that cared the most about academics?
either way, he did not get an interview this cycle. But what you said about the upward trend is a bit troubling for him since I told him that an upward trend should def. help like if you do a post bac and whatnot. He took a year off to do a post bac if that's what you're asking.
SA takes a "holistic" approach, and the seem to seriously care about all that stuff. They all care about grades and DAT, as that's generally what will get you an interview. I'd ask the schools about all this stuff tbh. I felt I had a balanced application, though my stats were very good. In my interviews, we talked about ECs and my prior career, not my stats.

Minion

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 11, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
How do you think texas dental schools feel about one class that is dropped the year prior to your application? I feel that I am not going to get into dental school because of this.

mdentalb

7+ Year Member
May 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I have those exact stats (GPA upward trend), 22 on the DAT, 3.5GPA postbacc, plus I had about 6 C's on my transcript. I got a pre-Dec interview at SA this cycle, but no acceptance yet. You don't know until you try. Definitely apply out of state too, especially if you have a strong connection to any other state.

Minion

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 11, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
This whole process is making me nervous, I should have applied last cycle.

OP
T
May 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
I have those exact stats (GPA upward trend), 22 on the DAT, 3.5GPA postbacc, plus I had about 6 C's on my transcript. I got a pre-Dec interview at SA this cycle, but no acceptance yet. You don't know until you try. Definitely apply out of state too, especially if you have a strong connection to any other state.
You are right. Thank you! Hope you get in!!

OP
T
May 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
How do you think texas dental schools feel about one class that is dropped the year prior to your application? I feel that I am not going to get into dental school because of this.
You are fine!! I know of many people who have went on to dental school in TX who had at least 1 drop. An officer I knew had two drops and she got accepted to Baylor and SA! Good things happen when you don't give up. Keep at it.

ckgibbs115

5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2012
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
slm266 pretty much nailed it

Baylor was my only interview, but I felt they were more so focused on applicable extracurricular activities and then GPA (still important though). I've got 3 withdrawals and 2 F's on my transcript, but demonstrated a consistent upward trend since then.

Just start knocking out upper level bios to raise that GPA.