Advice from anyone currently attending U of Michigan or will be attending UM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoMeesh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a CA resident and I have recently been accepted to UM for this Fall. I plan on attending UM...however, I'm a little concerned about the move and what to expect from Michigan, location wise.

I'm the type of girl that wears flip-flops in the middle of January, and I'm afraid those days will be long gone when I move. Hehe.

Is there anyone that's moved out to UM from California/West coast? What do you think about it? Are you glad you made the move? How was it trying to adjust to the weather change? Why did you turn down other CA/West coast schools to attend UM?

In southern California you cannot survive without owning a car, will it be possible to get around UM w/o one?

Any input/advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

GoMeesh said:
I'm a CA resident and I have recently been accepted to UM for this Fall. I plan on attending UM...however, I'm a little concerned about the move and what to expect from Michigan, location wise.

I'm the type of girl that wears flip-flops in the middle of January, and I'm afraid those days will be long gone when I move. Hehe.

Is there anyone that's moved out to UM from California/West coast? What do you think about it? Are you glad you made the move? How was it trying to adjust to the weather change? Why did you turn down other CA/West coast schools to attend UM?

In southern California you cannot survive without owning a car, will it be possible to get around UM w/o one?

Any input/advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks
I live in Michigan and have for the last 15 years...I live on the other side of the state, on Lake Michigan. Definitely no flip-flops in January! I am originally from northern Minnesota, and while winter is warmer here, I hate it more! The problem is, you NEVER SEE THE SUN! :( The sun leaves in about November and it doesn't come back until April. You'll probably miss the sun the most.
As far as needing a car, I know that U-M has buses b/c they have multiple campuses--you could probably survive w/out a car....but I wouldn't want to stand around waiting for the bus in the winter.
FYI, Ann Arbor is one of the most expensive places to live in Michigan, but it's probably still cheap compared to southern California.
At least at U-M the football team is good. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
bananaface said:
Which campus are you attending? Ann Arbor?

Ann Arbor is the only campus with a pharmacy program. It's the "real" UofM campus. There is no really good public transportation system in Ann Arbor (there are some busses), and even though you might be able to get through your first 2 years without a car (if you lived near the pharmacy campus), how would you get to your clinical rotations?

As for flip flops in Jan... It's cold in Jan.. maybe ~15-30 degrees? I was born in Detroit and lived in MI for 20 years.

Hey there,
Im from Cali too. Guess we'll all have a hard time adjusting.

=)