Advice from anyone who did a post-bac / gpa cut off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metacarpal

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently graduated. Ended with a 3.74 GPA and a 3.89 science GPA but that doesn't really matter except for the fact that it shows that I have a strong upward trend. I retook a few classes, transferred after my freshmen year, took a lot of college classes in h.s. which came back to haunt me, so the GPA that I'd be applying to med school is a 3.58 GPA and a 3.46 science GPA. My chances look slim. I'm not trying to get into a super competitive school but I'm scared these numbers are just too low and applying with them would just waste time and money. Any school will do honestly. I don't want to go through this process twice so would you suggest a post-bacc program or going back to get a second degree. I know that schools have a GPA cut off. Is my GPA able to meet the cut or should I play it safe and do a post-bac. And if I do a post-bac, how many credits can I possibly get in a year? I still have to take the MCAT. I have paid and unpaid clinical experience. Currently, I'm working at a nursing home as a Practical nurse and I'm doing research as well. So I think I have the ECs down but I just need to make sure I can get my foot through the door.

Members don't see this ad.

So I recently graduated. Ended with a 3.74 GPA and a 3.89 science GPA but that doesn't really matter except for the fact that it shows that I have a strong upward trend. I retook a few classes, transferred after my freshmen year, took a lot of college classes in h.s. which came back to haunt me, so the GPA that I'd be applying to med school is a 3.58 GPA and a 3.46 science GPA. My chances look slim. I'm not trying to get into a super competitive school but I'm scared these numbers are just too low and applying with them would just waste time and money. Any school will do honestly. I don't want to go through this process twice so would you suggest a post-bacc program or going back to get a second degree. I know that schools have a GPA cut off. Is my GPA able to meet the cut or should I play it safe and do a post-bac. And if I do a post-bac, how many credits can I possibly get in a year? I still have to take the MCAT. I have paid and unpaid clinical experience. Currently, I'm working at a nursing home as a Practical nurse and I'm doing research as well. So I think I have the ECs down but I just need to make sure I can get my foot through the door.

Have you looked at post-bacc programs that are linked (have preferred admissions) to certain medical schools?

Columbia U's postbacc and Bryn Mawr's postbacc come to mind. There are others as well.

Reactions: 1 user

Just as an anecdote, my GPA was similar (3.52cGPA/3.6ish sGPA) to yours and I received, what I thought to be, my fair share of interviews. That GPA certainly isn't going to help you but I wouldn't say it's going to sink a strong app. It really depends on what the rest of your application looks like and what your MCAT turns out to be. If you don't think your EC's are too strong, maybe more "cookie-cutter", then you might really benefit from a year of post-bacc while beefing up your EC's as well. However, if you have some strong EC's and a decent MCAT, I'd say its probably worth applying, especially if you don't care where you go. Depending on where you are, getting into a state school wouldn't be too much of a long shot with that GPA if your MCAT looks good.

As far as post-bacc work I believe most people shoot for about 30 hours worth (in the DIY method) but maybe someone who's actually done a DIY post-bacc will have more to say.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you've already taken the pre-reqs you don't need to do a post-bacc. You need to do well on the MCAT.
If you haven't taken the pre-reqs then you need a post-bacc.

Reactions: 3 users
Just as an anecdote, my GPA was similar (3.52cGPA/3.6ish sGPA) to yours and I received, what I thought to be, my fair share of interviews. That GPA certainly isn't going to help you but I wouldn't say it's going to sink a strong app. It really depends on what the rest of your application looks like and what your MCAT turns out to be. If you don't think your EC's are too strong, maybe more "cookie-cutter", then you might really benefit from a year of post-bacc while beefing up your EC's as well. However, if you have some strong EC's and a decent MCAT, I'd say its probably worth applying, especially if you don't care where you go. Depending on where you are, getting into a state school wouldn't be too much of a long shot with that GPA if your MCAT looks good.

As far as post-bacc work I believe most people shoot for about 30 hours worth (in the DIY method) but maybe someone who's actually done a DIY post-bacc will have more to say.

Thank you!

Have you looked at post-bacc programs that are linked (have preferred admissions) to certain medical schools?

Columbia U's postbacc and Bryn Mawr's postbacc come to mind. There are others as well.
I'll check it out!

Like others have said, it depends on your MCAT and ECs. If those are decent, don’t waste your money or time on a post-bac. Both my GPAs were far worse than yours by SDN standards and so I completed a Master’s and just matriculated at an MD school. I would also look at the MSAR to see which schools have a median sGPA and cGPA around yours. It’ll give you an idea of how many schools that is and what you may have to do going forward.