Advice from BU joint MPH/MA Med Sci Grads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedsethics

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone:

I just got accepted the joint MPH/Medical Science masters program at Boston University. I'm very excited as I think Year 1 (the medical science - essentially a post-bacc masters taken with BU med students) will really help my chances of getting into medical school and Year 2 (the MPH) is something that will help fulfill my interests in health policy and bioethics.

I'm curious if anyone's done this program, or can comment on just the MPH side. I'm currently registered as a student in the "Health Services" concentration, but i'm unsure if I should switch. I plan on working in children's health policy after medical school, so I'm debating a switch to Child and Maternal Health track. I'm also internationally inclined, and I know BU has the int'l health repuation. The Health Law, Policy, and Ethics track is very tempting too, but I've heard they have a bit of an attitude there (although the faculty is outstanding).

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

pedsethics said:
Hey everyone:

I just got accepted the joint MPH/Medical Science masters program at Boston University. I'm very excited as I think Year 1 (the medical science - essentially a post-bacc masters taken with BU med students) will really help my chances of getting into medical school and Year 2 (the MPH) is something that will help fulfill my interests in health policy and bioethics.

I'm curious if anyone's done this program, or can comment on just the MPH side. I'm currently registered as a student in the "Health Services" concentration, but i'm unsure if I should switch. I plan on working in children's health policy after medical school, so I'm debating a switch to Child and Maternal Health track. I'm also internationally inclined, and I know BU has the int'l health repuation. The Health Law, Policy, and Ethics track is very tempting too, but I've heard they have a bit of an attitude there (although the faculty is outstanding).

Thoughts?

$$$$$.

My friend did it because he wanted to get into an MD program. He had declined acceptances to several DO schools. Three years later and $100K+ in debt, he's a first-year at a DO school with MA and MPH after his name.

Well... that's bleak. Do you have any idea why he didn't get into MD programs (ie, was he older, poor grades, etc.), or did he simply choose the DO program? Does he utilise his MPH at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
jlr18 said:
Well... that's bleak. Do you have any idea why he didn't get into MD programs (ie, was he older, poor grades, etc.), or did he simply choose the DO program? Does he utilise his MPH at all?

I was accepted to the program and chose not to go. I've heard similar bleak stories, unfortunately. Basically, some people feel that the program is so competitive that getting good grades is very difficult. They feel neither of the degrees helped them get into medical school and were pretty demoralized by the program. Still, people DO do well in the program, so that's also something to consider. And an MPH is super exciting. I chose a different program. I figure that there are plenty of 1-year public health programs available elsewhere, if that's where my heart is. Plus, I want to make sure I dont screw up my med school apps the second time around, and I feel a lot more confident about the program I'm choosing.

MissCutie said:
I was accepted to the program and chose not to go. I've heard similar bleak stories, unfortunately. Basically, some people feel that the program is so competitive that getting good grades is very difficult. They feel neither of the degrees helped them get into medical school and were pretty demoralized by the program. Still, people DO do well in the program, so that's also something to consider. And an MPH is super exciting. I chose a different program. I figure that there are plenty of 1-year public health programs available elsewhere, if that's where my heart is. Plus, I want to make sure I dont screw up my med school apps the second time around, and I feel a lot more confident about the program I'm choosing.

Personally, I don't know much about the BU MPH program, it may have a good reputation. If you want to do international health I would suggest going to another school than the bu medical school. Personally, my life revolves around practicing medicine and doing research in a developing country as a physician in the future, my experiences at the bu medical school were very depressing in terms of finding like minded faculty, they talk alot about doing international health work, but when it comes to actually helping students to do this they really don't have alot of good contacts or insight regardless of what their website says which touts international health, I was talked down to by a faculty member in their office of student affairs who implied that I didn't realize that people in developing countries need help and was asked if I even knew what international health was, so yes, they do have a rude attitude with students, and traditionally there treat students very poorly, i.e. it is unstated policy that they "torture" students, they won't treat you like a pre-professional student or even with as much respect as a high school or college student. . . it is sad. Before I was accepted there I asked to defer to do PeaceCorps work and they refused, I wish I had in the end, but I am do clinical work at a site other BU, and find it much more friendly. Bottom-line, reputations can be acquired by having a fancy-smancy website like bu medical school has, but in actuality they do not seem focused on international health. I am not sure if this is the attitude at the public health school though.

ChildNeuro said:
Personally, I don't know much about the BU MPH program, it may have a good reputation. If you want to do international health I would suggest going to another school than the bu medical school. Personally, my life revolves around practicing medicine and doing research in a developing country as a physician in the future, my experiences at the bu medical school were very depressing in terms of finding like minded faculty, they talk alot about doing international health work, but when it comes to actually helping students to do this they really don't have alot of good contacts or insight regardless of what their website says which touts international health, I was talked down to by a faculty member in their office of student affairs who implied that I didn't realize that people in developing countries need help and was asked if I even knew what international health was, so yes, they do have a rude attitude with students, and traditionally there treat students very poorly, i.e. it is unstated policy that they "torture" students, they won't treat you like a pre-professional student or even with as much respect as a high school or college student. . . it is sad. Before I was accepted there I asked to defer to do PeaceCorps work and they refused, I wish I had in the end, but I am do clinical work at a site other BU, and find it much more friendly. Bottom-line, reputations can be acquired by having a fancy-smancy website like bu medical school has, but in actuality they do not seem focused on international health. I am not sure if this is the attitude at the public health school though.

Well, if that is the case, then i am not applying for BU. no use wasting even application money on such a school. I hate schools with teachers who look down upon students.

Greaper-
Keep in mind that the previous poster was referring to an experience with the BU medical school, not the public health school. The two may have very different attitudes! (And while it would be lovely if they worked together, that's not the case at every school.) It would be good to hear some impressions from people who've completed programs at BUSPH.

greaper said:
Well, if that is the case, then i am not applying for BU. no use wasting even application money on such a school. I hate schools with teachers who look down upon students.

I just thought I would comment on the discussion so far since I am currently in the MA/MPH program at BU.. I finished the coursework for my MA in medical science this past year and have also completed all the core requirements for the MPH (except Health Law). In the fall, I will be finishing my MA thesis and the rest of my MPH. I am a health services concentrator and (like the OP) interested in children's health policy- with a focus on children with special needs...

Just a note to clarify- the MA in medical science is done through BU's Division of Graduate Medical Sciences (part of BU medical school) and the MPH is done through BU's School of Public Health (NOT the medical school).

The MA program on its own has stats saying that at least 80% of students get into a medical school within 2 years of completing the MA (or something close to that). If your stats are within the range to be accepted into BU's program (3.0+ GPA, 25+ MCAT) and you come out of the MA with competitive grades (a 3.5+) and a decent MCAT (30+)- the faculty seem to think there is no reason why you shouldn't get into medical school. That being said, my feeling is that the only reason to get an MA in medical science is to become a more competitive applicant for medical school. Why else would you go through an incredibly tough program like BU's? If you want to get an MA that will help you get a research job or some other science related position, choose another program..

On the other hand, I don't think that completing an MPH (when you have a low science GPA or a low MCAT etc.) will help you get into medical school. It may supplement your application, especially if you can show med schools that the MPH is important to you and it will influence the way you practice medicine... But, unlike the MA, I don't believe that it will on its own (without addressing the weak aspects of your application) help you get into to med school..

My experience with the SPH faculty has been great so far- it was actually one of the reasons that made me want to go to BU for my MPH rather than wait until I got to med school to do it. The faculty that I have met and been taught by go out of their way to make you feel welcome, appreciated, and like you are getting the things you want/need from the program. I know a ton of MPH students and never have I heard anyone speak badly about the faculty.

I am shocked to hear someone say that "they treat students poorly" and that "it is unstated policy that they "torture" students, [and] they won't treat you like a pre-professional student or even with as much respect as a high school or college student". That has NOT been my experience AT ALL and I suggest to anyone using the SDN forums to find out information about programs they are applying to take what other posters say with a grain of salt...

If anyone needs any advice about the MA/MPH or wants to ask me any other questions.. please feel free. I have to admit that my brain is a bit fried right now since I am taking the August MCAT- so if you send me a PM, just give me a little time to get back to you.. I hope this helped! :)

Hi
I just got accepted into the joint program and trying to decide on whether or not i should go. Any other advice negative or positive would be appreciated!. It seems that the MAMS program is very successful so shouldn't the MPH/MAMS be the same?

Hi,

I did the BU MAMS program in 2004/05 and just started my first year of medical schoo. I know from my experience and others that the program can make up for lackluster undergrad GPA's, as long as your MCAT is good. Its a tough program, but its easier than medical school.

Hi
I just got accepted into the joint program and trying to decide on whether or not i should go. Any other advice negative or positive would be appreciated!. It seems that the MAMS program is very successful so shouldn't the MPH/MAMS be the same?

I will be beginning the MA/MPH this fall as well, although I wasn't really considering schools outside of Boston for personal reasons. From my encounters with the MAMS administration, I can't really say I have high expectations for getting a lot of assistance or "respect", but at this point in my life I also don't really expect anything but a higher science education from any graduate school. :rolleyes: So, if I get to learn physio and histo and improve my chances for attending medical school, I'll be more than happy.
As for the SPH, I was very impressed with the faculty and admin when I visited last year (the faculty for the Health Services and Maternal and Child Health depts were particularly engaging at the Q&A I attended). Also, many of my friends who have completed the MPH there have had nothing but praise for the experience.
From what I have seen, it doesn't really look like the MA/MPH is a cohesive program in and of itself - more like they give you the chance to complete both degrees in a shorter time-frame by shaving off the credit requirements. Of course, I may be totally wrong, but I'm looking forward to it either way... ;)