Advice From New Yorkers...Distance From Columbia Med to Undergrad

• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

Sirworksalot

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2003
Status (Visible)
The title says it all. Can some nice New Yorkers give me the specs on getting from the med school to the undergrad campus. I have not been accepted to Columbia yet nor am I particularly confident that I will. However, my g/f is going to Columbia for grad school next year (undergrad campus) and we were arguing about how far it is between the two and ways to get too and fro. Also, would you think it would be more important for me to live close to med school or her to live close to grad school? Should we live somewhere in between? Are there cheaper/yet nice apartments near the med school? Thanks!

tBw

totally deluded
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
infront of an iMac
Status (Visible)
Columbia U 116th St
Columbia Med 165th

Both on the west side

So not next door to eachother by any means, but about 5 stops on the 1/9 train.

mdforlife

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2004
Status (Visible)
plus for columbia students there is a shuttle that goes btw. the two campuses. I don't know how often though

About the Ads

docjolly

On Cloud Nine, Once Again
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2004
The Empire State
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Columbia University's main campus is at 116th St and Broadway
Columbia's College of P&S is at 168th St and Broadway..

By Subway:
You can take the 1/9 train from one campus to another

By Free Shuttle Bus:

There is also a free shuttle bus service that goes between
the two campuses...you just need to show the driver your
Columbia ID..The scheduled times for this free shuttle are
on Columbia's website

By Bus:
Take the M4 bus to go between the two campuses
This bus runs quite frequently (every 4-7 minutes)

Hope this helps!

Rendar5

15+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2003
Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
1. free shuttle bus takes 20 minutes average, 15 no traffic You need some type of CUID.
2. by driving, you take either riverside or broadway, depending 3. on traffic. Riverside is usually faster. I give it 15 minutes average, 10 minutes no traffic.
3. by subway, you take the 1/9. 10 minute ride, add 5 minutes for the wait for the train.
4. The bus takes forever. Never take it between campuses.

CrazyCarl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2003
Status (Visible)
I can't talk in too much detail about apartment hunting near the two campuses, but in terms of living conditions I think you would have to choose one or the other, not between. The area between the two is not so nice. The u-grad area is becoming moderately posh - people are starting to call it SoHa (South of Harlem), albeit somewhat tongue-in-cheek. The med school area is livable too, and I assume you could live less expensively there, though I really couldn't say from 1st hand experience.

Rendar5

15+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2003
Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
From first-hand experience, it is generally cheaper to live in WashHeights than in Morningside. Stay closer to the school for safer conditions.

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by CrazyCarl
I can't talk in too much detail about apartment hunting near the two campuses, but in terms of living conditions I think you would have to choose one or the other, not between. The area between the two is not so nice. The u-grad area is becoming moderately posh - people are starting to call it SoHa (South of Harlem), albeit somewhat tongue-in-cheek. The med school area is livable too, and I assume you could live less expensively there, though I really couldn't say from 1st hand experience.

How much is the rent around the Undergrad area? Say for a one-bedroom or Studio apartment.

missbonnie

floating
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
it's getting pretty expensive to live near cu ugrad..

studios can be 1200-1500!

i had a 2 bedroom about 10 blocks away (supposedly in a cheaper area) and it was 2200...now that same apt is 2800 or more.

but u can still find places like, 1bedroom for 1200-1600 if u get lucky..just gotta look around. Columbia has an off campus regiustry for cheaper housing....u need to know someone who is a current student to login into to see the listings.

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by missbonnie
it's getting pretty expensive to live near cu ugrad..

studios can be 1200-1500!

i had a 2 bedroom about 10 blocks away (supposedly in a cheaper area) and it was 2200...now that same apt is 2800 or more.

but u can still find places like, 1bedroom for 1200-1600 if u get lucky..just gotta look around. Columbia has an off campus regiustry for cheaper housing....u need to know someone who is a current student to login into to see the listings.

That's comparable (Or even more expensive) than Westwood (UCLA area)! Geez...Maybe I have to settle on Washington Heights if I end up going there.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.