Advice from Non-trads on MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChemMed

Curiosity is Fun!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wont be starting medical school until I'm 30 or 31. My current situation is I'm a post-doc in translational research and I have managed to solidify my situation into a two year contract. This is short for a post-doc and getting my PI to agree to it was tricky.

The question is should I apply this year to start next year or wait to apply in 2011?

I have taken the MCAT and got in the high 20's (first time). My gpa is 3.4 all around (science and overall).

Is DO a good idea? I don't care either way, but I am interested in research. Also, if I apply this year and get in then I break my two year contract. Is this worth it? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Try asking for a deferral. I think your situation would merit it. As far as research not sure, i'm actually not truly interested in research myself, but more clinically inclined and i'm applying to DO schools. Best of luck!

Breaking the contract could be a major issue, especially if you're planning to get a LOR from your PI. A disgruntled PI would not be a good person to have writing your letter. :hungover:

I think dd's suggestion of contacting the schools you're interested in to find out about possible deferrals can't hurt, but I would do it now, before you spend the time and money applying. I also don't think there is anything wrong with deciding to wait an extra year, especially if you're planning to take the MCAT again. Nothing you do is going to make you 22 again, and being 31 versus 30 will not be an issue for going to med school. As for whether to go DO versus MD, you already know from our discussion in Physician Scientists that I don't think it really matters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try asking for a deferral. I think your situation would merit it. As far as research not sure, i'm actually not truly interested in research myself, but more clinically inclined and i'm applying to DO schools. Best of luck!

I assume you mean a deferral from the medical school. The OP would be hard pressed to find a school that would grant, or even guarantee, a deferral out of the gate.

Neither your GPA or your MCAT are super impressive, I don't know the rest of your stats, but having an advanced degree and extensive research exp. are a plus.

You need to ask yourself how much do you like research? If it is what you want to do as a career, then I would finish out my contract and consider medical school afterwards. Professionally speaking, breaking your contract would be a bad move. If you are not all that interested in research, i.e. you don't see yourself doing anything but clinical work, then as long as you have someone else to write LORs, it won't hold you back (but it is still a somewhat dickhole thing to do).

My advice, stay in that protective bubble of academia as long as you can.

I assume you mean a deferral from the medical school. ...

Nah, don't bother with a deferral from med school. Most places wouldn't give one for a pre-existing issue anyhow. Deferrals tend to only be given out if eg you find out during the application season that you got accepted for a fulbright, or something of that ilk. Don't apply to med school until you are ready to attend. Applying and saying "oh by the way, I need a deferral" is NOT a good idea.