Advice from someone who knows, please!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigmachoal

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Medical students obviously want hard numbers when considering such notoriously competitive fields such as Plastics. I never see any replies to inquiries about average grades, boards, etc... If there are any Plastics residents or others involved in Plastics programs out there, how about giving me some feedback on my numbers: 256 on boards with probable AOA status. How far does this get me? I have no research, but will be pursuing some in the Plastics Dept. over the next year.
Thanks for any advice... CA

Members don't see this ad.

As someone who is going through this year's match, I can assure you that you will be well received with those numbers. The AOA is a big plus and something you should strive for. Also, the research is good....most people have pretty impressive research on their CV, but not all. The key to success is to be willing to go anywhere. Applying to all the programs will net you many interviews and the prevailing belief is that 10 plastics interviews will net you a spot in the match. Of couse, it may not be Baylor, NYU, or UCSF, but it will be somewhere. The other thing you may have to ask yourself is, are you willing to train anywhere in plastics, or would you rather go to a great general surgery program with those numbers and then do a fellowhsip? Also, consider doing at least 3 away rotation (though some may argue that this is not necessary, I think it improves exposure, allows your to learn about the program, and to ask for letters of recommend from influential chairmen). Good luck.

Originally posted by Shasta
. The other thing you may have to ask yourself is, are you willing to train anywhere in plastics, or would you rather go to a great general surgery program with those numbers and then do a fellowhsip? /B]

Good advice. There are a number of integrated programs with obvious problems in the way they're set up (in addition to the few really good ones).