Advice from students who chose med school after completing undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlewx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm stressed out. I don't know what the right decision is anymore. I'm going into my final year of undergrad and I now want to be a doctor. I started college back in 2013 and have zero prereqs completed. I met with my advisor today to find out I'd be in school for another three years after graduation next spring. I won't be able to apply to medical school until 2020 or 2021.

She basically told me since I haven't taken math or science for a while that I will need to take some beginner refresher courses before I start the prereqs. Do you think that is necessary? If I go into the classes with a passion to learn and get extra help if I need it, is that not enough? I've been in plenty of classes without background knowledge and I've done well just by being present and learning as the class went on.

Is there anyone on here that waited too late and this is the route they had to take? Again, I've been in school for three years going on four and now I'm adding another three potentially. After that I have another four of medical school and so on. Is it worth it? I'll be doing major GPA repair during this time as well. I don't think it's in the plan to retake anything. But what I'm getting at is normal people go for four and then go to medical school. I'd be going for 7 and then medical school because of my late decision.

Members don't see this ad.

She basically told me since I haven't taken math or science for a while that I will need to take some beginner refresher courses before I start the prereqs. Do you think that is necessary?

depends on your handle of the sciences? did you take alot of science AP classes in highschool? i don't think taking refreshers are necessary especially if you work hard and take it seriously. go to every office hour. go to TA sections nad see them in office hours too. and study for 2 hours for every 1 hour of class and maintain a schedule I definitely think you should beable to do it. being present goes a long way. it also kinda depends on the teacher too. if the teacher decides to teach it like an upper division class then your on your own. however if you get good teachers that love teaching and care about their students you should have a good chance. I would need more info. PM me if you want to talk more.

Is it worth it?

You'll always be asking if its worth it. even now i ask myself is it worth it. so i mean you gotta find the beauty in the subject and in the field of medicine and always set your eyes on that.

Again, I've been in school for three years going on four and now I'm adding another three potentially. After that I have another four of medical school and so on.
But what I'm getting at is normal people go for four and then go to medical school. I'd be going for 7 and then medical school because of my late decision.

Plenty of people go to college for 4-6 years its normal. people get masters and work on their prereqs. I think it'll be ok. as to if this is something you really want to do. Medicine is a HARD road. Its not something to take lightly. you have to be dedicated to it. of course if you want to do it there is always a way but its not easy and there isn't much glamor to it. I would say. talk to your family and talk to the people that care about you and support you and consult with them and together come up with a plan and consider the feasibility.

I started pre-reqs the very last semester of undergrad after 3.5 years of humanities classes and it was fine. Intro classes aren't nearly as stressful when you've already figured out how to do college.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I started pre-reqs the very last semester of undergrad after 3.5 years of humanities classes and it was fine. Intro classes aren't nearly as stressful when you've already figured out how to do college.
But do I really need to take the refresher courses or do I learn in the classes as I go? For example, I can take physics I this summer but the advisor told me to wait after I took a class with trig.

But do I really need to take the refresher courses or do I learn in the classes as I go? For example, I can take physics I this summer but the advisor told me to wait after I took a class with trig.
The only thing from trig that I remember using a lot of in my physics class was sin, cos, and tan. I think as long as you remember/remind yourself how to do these kinds of equations you should be fine.

I was in your shoes several years ago. I didn't decide until senior year I wanted to do medicine. I also still needed to take the majority of the prereqs and had a bit of GPA repair to do. I'll be starting med school this fall...in my late 20s, and I have no regrets. I gained a lot of life experience during my extra years in school, which was extremely helpful as I crafted my personal statement and attended interviews.

As for the "refresher" courses, that's really up to you and your comfort level. It sounds like you have the work ethic to push through the courses, even if your background knowledge is lacking. Trig and algebra are used heavily in physics...but there are youtube videos (Khan Academy) and tons of other resources out there to teach you the basics without needing to spend an entire semester on a refresher course. Make sure you know SOH CAH TOA! However, I wouldn't recommend starting off with a summer course. Summer courses are usually accelerated and you're already iffy on the sciences.

I was in your shoes several years ago. I didn't decide until senior year I wanted to do medicine. I also still needed to take the majority of the prereqs and had a bit of GPA repair to do. I'll be starting med school this fall...in my late 20s, and I have no regrets. I gained a lot of life experience during my extra years in school, which was extremely helpful as I crafted my personal statement and attended interviews.

As for the "refresher" courses, that's really up to you and your comfort level. It sounds like you have the work ethic to push through the courses, even if your background knowledge is lacking. Trig and algebra are used heavily in physics...but there are youtube videos (Khan Academy) and tons of other resources out there to teach you the basics without needing to spend an entire semester on a refresher course. Make sure you know SOH CAH TOA! However, I wouldn't recommend starting off with a summer course. Summer courses are usually accelerated and you're already iffy on the sciences.
How many extra years did you have to stay before applying?

I began my prereqs during my senior year with almost zero chem/math/physics background. It is doable, but it is hard too if you are weak in math. Refresher courses would probably be beneficial to you, but like you said, would add on a lot of extra time, which is why I didn't do them. For the first few weeks last Fall, I spent a good two or three hours a night brushing up on pre-calc and other math skills. I would google "math skills/practice for college physics/general chemistry" and just work on those. Chem wiki and Khan Academy are your friends in these courses as well. It's your call if the extra year is worth it for refresher courses, but your grades in these pre-reqs are very important. Make sure you can stay on top of it all.

Reactions: 1 user
How many extra years did you have to stay before applying?
Took me 2 years to finish the pre-reqs. But then I started thinking about going the MD/PhD route and wanted more research experience so I did a research masters, which took 2 more years. Then I got a research grant and did a few more years of research.

I would think that you might need a refresher in math for the physics (depending on what level you are- have you taken Algebra 2 in high school?) but you could probably self study for that over the summer, rather than take a class. Using Khan and a textbook will save time and money.

For the other pre-reqs, I don't see why you would need some sort of "refresher", considering they start from the basics (Gen chem, Bio 1, etc.). I didn't have any advanced background in high school in these classes and did fine. If you're motivated just go into the pre-reqs straight, and *maybe* hold off physics for the following year if you need time to work on math. Should take you 2 years or so if my math is correct, if that's your main focus.

I'm not a fan of taking trigonometry as a refresher course simply because you learn so much more than you need to perform well in physics. As long as you remember how to do basic algebra and SOH CAH TOA you should at least have the tools to do physics problems. The exception to this is if you're taking calculus based physics but I doubt this is the case.

your grades in these pre-reqs are very important.
I'm signed up for physics. Should I also retake Bio 101 for the sake of my science GPA? I got a B and it's being offered and it's only a month long summer class which would be super easy to maybe get an A.

I'm signed up for physics. Should I also retake Bio 101 for the sake of my science GPA? I got a B and it's being offered and it's only a month long summer class which would be super easy to maybe get an A.
No, not worth retaking if its a B. You don't need all As to get into medical school. Cs and below is more reasonable to retake.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, not worth retaking if its a B. You don't need all As to get into medical school. Cs and below is more reasonable to retake.

Will colleges even allow you to retake courses that aren't a failing grade? (D/F?)

Anyway, a B in your only bio class is not a big deal. People get into even the top med schools with Bs (and perhaps Cs) on their record--it is usually their other features that set them apart.

If you do decide to take physics this summer, this should go without saying, but try your absolute hardest to do well in this class. Don't overload yourself with too many other responsibilities, go to office hours, watch vids online, do all the practice problems, really nail down the math and the concepts. Your priority is to find out what studying techniques work for you in order for you to succeed in science classes. As you further progress through the pre-reqs, you will know how to fine-tune to be studying less intensely if necessary. The "refresher" courses shouldn't be necessary if you end up doing well in this class.

Mine does for a GPA boost!

ohh got it! Med schools will actually calculate your grades a bit differently than your school does once you've uploaded all your courses and whatnot. I think DO schools allow for grade replacement. I am not sure how MD schools deal with multiple grades for a course. I am almost positive that re-taking a B would be considered bad judgment. The proper method to show that the B was not indicative of your academic ability is to get As in the subsequent classes in the series.

ohh got it! Med schools will actually calculate your grades a bit differently than your school does once you've uploaded all your courses and whatnot. I think DO schools allow for grade replacement. I am not sure how MD schools deal with multiple grades for a course. I am almost positive that re-taking a B would be considered bad judgment. The proper method to show that the B was not indicative of your academic ability is to get As in the subsequent classes in the series.
We average them.

We average them.

Do you often see students re-take Bs or Cs? How is this viewed? My previous post was only speculation and I am not sure how often it is actually done among pre-meds.

Not often.
I'm assuming they'll look at all of my work and my undergrad grades are awful. How will this affect my application even if I finish senior year well and do well in my science courses?

I'm assuming they'll look at all of my work and my undergrad grades are awful. How will this affect my application even if I finish senior year well and do well in my science courses?
A very low gpa can be hard to overcome for MD applications. Trend is still important, though. How bad are we talking?

A very low gpa can be hard to overcome for MD applications. Trend is still important, though. How bad are we talking?
2.73. It was going up as it was a 2.8 before the failed class. I have a lot of work to do. I had some bad semesters especially just last year because my roommates burned our apartment down and it really hit me hard.

2.73. It was going up as it was a 2.8 before the failed class. I have a lot of work to do. I had some bad semesters especially just last year because my roommates burned our apartment down and it really hit me hard.
There can still be a path to medicine for you, but it may require some investigation into DO grade replacement policies. In what state do you live?

There can still be a path to medicine for you, but it may require some investigation into DO grade replacement policies. In what state do you live?
Iowa

Could be worse, I guess. 27% of IA applicants matriculated IS. Only IL (24%) and MO (just barely at 26%) have a lower IS matriculation in the Central Region.
& we only have two med schools so when it comes time will my chances be better or worse? or is OOS going to help too?

Could be worse, I guess. 27% of IA applicants matriculated IS. Only IL (24%) and MO (just barely at 26%) have a lower IS matriculation in the Central Region.
Does this mean as an IL resident, I will generally have a harder time with IS med schools? I would think that IL is higher than 24% considering how many more med schools there are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Does this mean as an IL resident, I will generally have a harder time with IS med schools? I would think that IL is higher than 24% considering how many more med schools there are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile
It means that, as an independent variable, IA is marginally better than IL.