Is it worth it taking a gap year for top IM Programs?

• Yes

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

aCellsLife

2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2018
Hi all, for a while I've been thinking about taking a gap year. My ultimate goal is to have a clinical research-oriented career where I perform clinical trials in an IM sub-specialty. I've always thought that it'd make sense to develop research skills and try to attend research institutions with as much resources as possible. I'm currently at a mid tier institution with not much research going on (I've talked to almost everyone in the dept) and the project I'm working on is going kind of slow. I thought it might be helpful to gain research experience at an intensive program (ie. NIH or Sarnoff) to gain necessary research skills. I should say that I am currently an M3 in c/o 2022 without a grade for IM yet.

Below are some of my thoughts about this decision

Pros
1. Gain more experience while I can. I fear that gap years in residency don't really happen aside from a chief year. I also think it might be hard to do research outside case reports in residency, but I could be making incorrect assumptions.I imagine if I am lucky to be a chief I will be rather busy with clinical oversight duties. I am already considering a masters during fellowship so I would use this med school gap year to gain even more experience. I really want to gain as much exposure and credentials I can before I submit my first faculty application.
2. Have years "to blow." Didn't take a gap year after college and subsequently got waitlisted at a bunch of T20s. I see a gap year as a way to spend a year off that I can afford and have a better chance at T20 residencies.
3. Possibly gain more publications. Currently have 0 with a few manuscript drafts going on.

Cons
1. Uncertainty if Step 1 will lose value during the match for c/o 2023. I got a competitive step 1 score (high 240s).
2. Uncertainty if gap year will truly help in IM. I know for certain these national programs will help in getting a competitive specialty, but unsure if Top 10 IM programs, which can be very incestuous to peer med schools, will bat a significant eye to this when it comes to matching applicants.
3. I am starting a parallel clinical research project at a leading research institution. If I get sufficient mentorship here, getting a mentor through a year-off program may not be needed
4. Accrual of loans, loss of clinical knowledge, and loss of 1 year attending salary. These are three 3 things I've always known I'd get with a gap year, so this is the least important con to me. Still single so losing years of getting my life together as a 20 something when I can be paying off loans, finding someone can hurt me though.

thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

aCellsLife

2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2018
Bump. Probably leaning toward a gap year. Would love to hear thoughts folks might have, particularly from anyone who's done a research year at a national program or who's recently applied to IM

kopftonmd

2+ Year Member
May 17, 2016
Status
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
Not that I know much about the IM match, but I don't think I've ever heard of someone taking a year for the specialty. I feel like the top programs would look at that and be unimpressed. But take with some NaCl.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads