1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

advice? getting a job plus applying for med school

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by red dot, Dec 6, 2005.

1. red dot

red dot burning, burning
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i know this is a revisited topic but i tried to do a search for this but didn't come up with anything good:

i'm applying for a medical asst position that is full time for at least 11 months. do you think i should just not tell them i am applying for med school as well, despite how my resume practically screams for med school?
    and if i do do that, how do you juggle going to interviews in the middle of the work week? and if by some stroke of luck i do get accepted to med school can i just give my employers a two-week notice or is this information going to be listed somewhere in a contract?

though i've had or am going to have a few interviews, i honestly don't believe i'll get in this year. i've been waitlisted at 2 of 3 schools i've interviewed at so far (and i really don't blame them for doing so. my GPA is something to be laughed at and i know my EC's don't hold a candle to most of your EC's). and that is why i applied for this job.

thank you, for any feedback

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Elastase

Elastase StanfUrd bound!!!
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thats great that you have a back-up plan. As you know interviews can take up a lot of time. Make sure that you are adding something to your application besides that job (retake MCAT, take more classes, do community service, etc.) I would not lie about what my plans are, because you are going to have to bring them up at some point. Good luck!

4. madonna

madonna Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    if you want to get that job, dont tell them. i told one place and that was the end, even though they actually liked me. just say that your might need to go to previously scheduled trips or something more creative. but make sure there is no contract breaking fee or something of that sort, if you are signing. i am not telling anyone anymore, but and i have a feeling i wont be quitting this year so no worries :(
    good luck

5. Faust

Faust Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Yeah this is complicated. I am in the 2006 app cycle and will start working at Kaiser this month. I am screwed. My boss said "oh one of your references said that you are applying to med school." I was like "uh, uh, yeah I might be applying to med school, but i am also considering law school too, for right now I just want to get some clinical exposure." I was shocked when she asked, considering I will be gone in sixth months. Its a rough spot to be in. What can I tell her in six months? I feel extremely bad.

6. BaylorGuy

BaylorGuy Enter witty comment here
    7+ Year Member

To the OP...its hard to gauge, unless you can find a job which is OK with you applying top med school, its not going to be easy. Luckily for me, when i applied to my job, i told my boss the situation and he totally understood...on the other hand, it seems like many of the people who took his research assistant job in the past were planning/applying to med school anyway. He encouraged us to go forward and do bigger and better things....but never forget the little guy (I.E. him).

If you feel comfortable enough to tell them that you are applying...go for it. However, depending on the employer, it may be difficult to pass this off.