Advice/Guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmyC

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This should be an easy answer for everyone since it is only providing a little advice.

I am interested in becoming a psychiatrist. I am a little concerned however upon seeing all the math i will be required to take to fulfill pre-health requirements. Physics and calculus really make me frown - especially because I have been out of school for two years and have forgotten all the algebra crammed into me.

I'm just wondering if there are any of you who especially hate math or are weak in it and somehow survived pre-med??? Surely not every psychiatrist out there was born a math genius. I guess I'm just asking for reflections on your experience if these particular subjects tripped you up. Anything you can tell me will be helpful.

Many thanks,
Amy

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't found a medical school that has required calculus. Those that have also accepted Business Calculus, which is much easier than the engineering/chemistry calculus.

Despite very few medical schools requiring calculus, I took it anyways along with college algebra.

The physics that is required is the algebra-based physics, not the calc-based. It's not that bad. Good luck.

i was out of school for a few years and was terrified of going back to take science and especially math. it turned out that I just learned it. it was easy with hard work. just work and talk to profs if you have a problem. i never did poorly. only 2 Bs and they were both about 3-5 points from an A. You will do fine. take algebra based physics. calc is only required for harvard, jhu, wash, dartmouth, am I missing any? they might also accept statistics instead of calc. and the amout of math required is different for every school, although most require a year of college level math. if calc isn't rquired at the schools you want and you don't want to take it, don;t take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going into psych, and I didn't go past college Trig.

Good luck to you!

Renee
MS-IV
UNECOM

Thanks for all your help guys. It has provided much comfort!!!!!

:clap:

Amy