Advice: low gpa but upward trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahhssha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated undergrad with a 3.15. I really messed up my junior year due to an eating disorder. I recovered though and by my senior year was getting all A's. I also finished a full year of post-bac with a 3.97 (all A's, one A-). I know i have a really good upward trend going but obviously my cumulative GPA isn't going to be high.

Is it even worth trying to apply to med schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes. I would give it a try nationally. What is your MCAT? An upwards trend is always a good sign on your AMCAS application.

Where did you complete your post bac if you don't mind me asking?

Yes. I would give it a try nationally. What is your MCAT? An upwards trend is always a good sign on your AMCAS application.

Where did you complete your post bac if you don't mind me asking?

mcat is a 29 and i plan on taking it again in nov. to hopefully raise it. I went to post-bac at CSU East Bay in the Bay area and I came from a UC school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Trending is really huge for some places, and having one bad year isn't going to ruin your chances. This will give you a bit of an idea; the low grades were mostly all upward trending students (this is UW, ranked #1 for primary care and I think 19 for research, competitive school). Will it be harder and will your application have to be better then others, most likely, but don't count yourself out.

academic-standards.jpg

yes,Will it be harder and will your application have to be better then others, most likely, but don't count yourself out.thanks
QwqhZC

yes, apply and make sure you also apply DO. during the year, retake a few C/D/F classes and it will really help boost your gpa

For DO schools, yes, and I do think it will suffice for some MD schools, but you'll also need a killer MCAT (like >33). See my post in this forum in the thread "redemptive MD schools).

Your drug addiction might be more problematic.

I graduated undergrad with a 3.15. I really messed up my junior year due to an eating disorder and drug addiction. I recovered though and by my senior year was getting all A's. I also finished a full year of post-bac with a 3.97 (all A's, one A-). I know i have a really good upward trend going but obviously my cumulative GPA isn't going to be high.

Is it even worth trying to apply to med schools?