Advice needed about Committee Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johncalvin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school's pre-med committee requires letters for 4-5 professors, including a research advisor if we have one.

The committee then makes a composite statement, and attaches some (but not all) letters to the statement, and sends this packet out.

However, their policy is not to tell students which individual letters were, or were not, attached to the composite letter. While this is fair and makes sense from a confidentiality standpoint, what if the letter from my PI was not attached?

At least one school I'm applying to absolutely requires a letter your PI. Any advice? Should I just wait and see which schools mark me as "incomplete"?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My school's pre-med committee requires letters for 4-5 professors, including a research advisor if we have one.

The committee then makes a composite statement, and attaches some (but not all) letters to the statement, and sends this packet out.

However, their policy is not to tell students which individual letters were, or were not, attached to the composite letter. While this is fair and makes sense from a confidentiality standpoint, what if the letter from my PI was attached?

At least one school I'm applying to absolutely requires a letter your PI. Any advice? Should I just wait and see which schools mark me as "incomplete"?

Can't you have your PI sent the letter directly to AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think either of the solutions above will work. Your committee isn't going to try to screw you, and if necessary you can go around them.

Thanks for the advice, folks.

Right now I'm just banking that my committee is savvy enough to know that a letter from a PI I did 2 years' research for is pretty much essential.

As for sending her letter directly to AMCAS--what if this turns out to be a duplicate letter? Also, some schools stipulate that if you have a committee you MUST use only the committee, or else write a paragraph about why you didn't...

Thanks for the advice, folks.

Right now I'm just banking that my committee is savvy enough to know that a letter from a PI I did 2 years' research for is pretty much essential.

As for sending her letter directly to AMCAS--what if this turns out to be a duplicate letter? Also, some schools stipulate that if you have a committee you MUST use only the committee, or else write a paragraph about why you didn't...

Don't rely on anything, tell them.

If it is a duplicate, so what?

You are using the committee, but you can send an additional letter anyway.

I think you should tell them you need it to be included. If they say they will fine, anything less than that, have your PI send it directly to AMCAS. Don't risk the delay.

However, their policy is not to tell students which individual letters were, or were not, attached to the composite letter. While this is fair and makes sense from a confidentiality standpoint, what if the letter from my PI was not attached?

I'm in the same position. Can't you tell them specifically which letters you want sent out?

It would be ironic if they wanted to retain confidentiality, given that half my recommenders had me write the letter for myself. :laugh:

Also, as an aside, does your committee let you see the letter in advance?

All the schools I applied to had specific requirements. However, if you have a committee letter all other requirements were waived. Does this school have a policy on accepting committee letters?

All the schools I applied to had specific requirements. However, if you have a committee letter all other requirements were waived. Does this school have a policy on accepting committee letters?

Good question. I'll have to check. I may also be applying to Harvard, and I'm sure their requirements are pretty set in stone: aka we need a letter from your PI.