Advice needed. Apply now or later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jb3396475

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Freshman year was rough academically. I had a job, played a sport, and had to go home on the weekends. I was a business major at the time. At the end of freshman year, I had a 2.1 GPA. I took the following semester off to help out back home. Long story short, there was a death in my immediate family and I became driven to become a physician. I changed my major and tried to rebuild from freshman year.
Currently, I am planning on applying this upcoming June. I have to stay an extra semester to be able to graduate since I took a semester off. My GPA right now is a 3.3 and my science GPA is a 3.82. I'm scared of my regular GPA. I don't know if I should take a year off and take some post-bac classes to raise it. I did well on my MCAT getting a 517, but will it make up for my poor overall GPA?
Additionally, I have a year of research experience, a year of hospice volunteer work, a year of tutoring inner-city youth, about 100 hours of urban reinvention volunteer work, 155 hours of volunteer work at a school for the blind. I'm a Pacific Islander male and a CA resident.

Members don't see this ad.

IMO you don't have anything in your application that would be lethal to your admission chances.

A 517 is very good and, combined with your sGPA, could very well "make up for" your cGPA.

However, I do not believe that you can apply to most MD/DO schools or be considered "complete" at those schools until you have been issued a bachelors degree from your undergrad. If you will have a transcript that reflects a completed degree by July/August of this year, then I would say go ahead.

Otherwise, you should wait. Your MCAT will still be valid next year.

IMO you don't have anything in your application that would be lethal to your admission chances.

A 517 is very good and, combined with your sGPA, could very well "make up for" your cGPA.

However, I do not believe that you can apply to most MD/DO schools or be considered "complete" at those schools until you have been issued a bachelors degree from your undergrad. If you will have a transcript that reflects a completed degree by July/August of this year, then I would say go ahead.

Otherwise, you should wait. Your MCAT will still be valid next year.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I'll be graduating this coming December, so I'll have a degree by matriculation.

I do not believe that you can apply to most MD/DO schools or be considered "complete" at those schools until you have been issued a bachelors degree from your undergrad.
This is incorrect. You do not need to complete a bachelors degree to apply to med schools. But for most, you need one in order to matriculate to a med school.

Reactions: 1 users