advice needed concerning mph

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjoe00

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello al new to this forum i have a couple of question, originally wanted to do medicine but i starting to realize maybe not feasible as in not want i want to do right now, i still want to stay in the health field and i have heard about the diff ms in public health which is looking good tome right now. is there website or mag that i can look up more on this career ie what professions do they usually have, what are the best schools to attend the program, what is the income level, and so forth, i am also guessing i need to take the gre, do they accept mcat scores instead, as u can see i have lots of questions.. lol any input would be greatly appreciated. thks

Members don't see this ad.

okay.... and after posting my 21 questions i glanced up only to see a bunch of public healt website sorry. still would not mind any inputs

jjoe00 said:
hello al new to this forum i have a couple of question, originally wanted to do medicine but i starting to realize maybe not feasible as in not want i want to do right now, i still want to stay in the health field and i have heard about the diff ms in public health which is looking good tome right now. is there website or mag that i can look up more on this career ie what professions do they usually have, what are the best schools to attend the program, what is the income level, and so forth, i am also guessing i need to take the gre, do they accept mcat scores instead, as u can see i have lots of questions.. lol any input would be greatly appreciated. thks

Hihi!

Ok, let me try and answer most of your questions as best I can (since I don't have answers for all of them). The first thing you should understand is that within public health, most schools have different concentrations based on what you want to do.

Typically you will find epidemiology (how diseases are spread and how this affects the population), community health (self-explanatory), health policy and management (for those who want to go into administration or perhaps policy-making), biostatistics (also self-explanatory), and sometimes you'll see social-behavioral sciences (most similar to sociology and psychology, and maybe education). Salaries from these specialties range widely based on what you do - biostatistics to my knowledge doesn't usually pay too well (probably $35,000-60,000), while Health Management and Policy might pay double that. Most other things fall somewhere inbetween.

Some schools accept the MCAT in lieu of the GRE, and some schools require the GRE if you don't already have an advanced degree. You'd have to check with specific schools based on which ones you'd like to attend. Also, beware - some schools don't mind people using this as a stepping stone to medical school, but I have heard from others that if this is how your application appears, it is a major turnoff to admissions committees.

Regarding cost to attend - that ranges greatly. In-state tuition at a public university is usually cheapest, and even that varies. UCLA and UC Berkeley (in California) charge about $9,000 for tuition, per year to California residents, while the University of Iowa is only about $4,000 for in-state people (and $11,000 for non-residents). Out of state public universities are usually the next cheapest (like University of Michigan is about $20,000/year for non-residents). Private schools (like Yale, Dartmouth, Columbia, etc.) are the most expensive, and will typically run you $30,000+/year - so it'd be wise to think about how much money you have to spend.

I hope this answers most of your questions - if you want to know anything else, please post again or PM me. =)

Members don't see this ad :)
jjoe00 said:

Check out the Pfizer Guides to Career in Public Health:

http://www.pfizercareerguides.com/publichealth.html