Advice needed - crafting next few years with AmeriCorps, MPH, int'l experience...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aladeen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So I'm semi-nontrad. I graduated last year from a decent university and just finished up prereqs this year. I've been working at a clinic and non-profit in the meantime and am taking the MCAT in a month. I'm doing an AmeriCorps program in the fall and trying to figure out life after that, leading up to med school.

The first thing I need advice with is where to do AmeriCorps - DC, Baltimore, or my hometown. How much of a difference does it make? Attracted to DC because of job opportunities afterward. Attracted to Baltimore because I'd like to do an MPH at Hopkins. Attracted to my hometown because free rent.

My numbers are meh. Shooting for a 34-36. 3.67 cGPA, 3.56 sGPA. Not to be one of those, but how can I craft my path to get into the best school possible? Should I do this program and work for a year and apply? Or program, MPH, work, then apply? What do I do with my life, SDN?!?

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I also am considering doing a year of public health work abroad.

Members don't see this ad.

Both are health-related but different areas of interest, and I'm more interested in the Baltimore one. The DC one provides more direct patient care though. Definitely having a lot of trouble picking between the two.

Absolutely noted. I wouldn't add $60k to my loan pile for fun. An MPH is almost required for my personal career goals. Just unsure about if it should be before or during med school. If it's before, then I'd like to put it to use for 1-2 years after, but I really don't want to end up having to retake the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Makes sense! Thank you for the advice.

I'm doing an MPH before, but for a very specific set of reasons/circumstances. However I wouldn't recommend that route for just anyone. I don't think med schools really strongly weight and MPH as noted although that can depend on what your focus is, ie epidemiology and biostats are a bit more challenging academically than say a community health. BUT if the rest of your application is strong it can provide you with a strong EC and good experiences to add to your application. Just don't think it will overcome a poor undergrad performance or anything like that. Only do it if you have a genuine interest and plan to use it later or it just won't be cost effective. you seem to have a genuine interest.

I agree that MD/MPH programs would be a good option. Especially since the timeline you describe above could put you at risk of having an expired MCAT at some schools come application time. Note that the schools decide how old MCAT score can be that they'll still accept and it can vary quite a bit by school anywhere from 2-4 years old. Also note that with the new MCAT coming out in jan things will get more complicated because AMCAS plans to stop automatically reporting old version MCATs in either2017 or 2018, but last I read they hadn't decided exactly when. Pre reqs might also change to account for this so you might take the mcat now, do your Americore and MPH and get stuck needing 3 new pre reqs before you can apply.

An MPH program is generally a year shorter if you have or are working on a doctorate so that saves time. Even if the school you get into doesn't have an MPH program, it might stll be possible to take off a year between say 2nd and 3 rd year to do it at a school that does. It also allows you to better hie your curriculum to your medical interests.

Lastly, you can do an MPH in quite a few residency programs, fellowship programs, or after when you're in practice. If your residency or MD job is at an academic center you might get quite a bit of help in the tuition. Quite a few bigger hospitals offer some tuition support as part of benefits packages as well.

So generally I recommend doing it in med school or after, but you have to gauge that with your own interests, situation, and financial picture.

Reactions: 1 user