ADVICE NEEDED: finish prereqs now or later??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jintonic5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,
Due to extenuating circumstances I won't be receiving credit for my past semester in orgo2, and two classes i need for my major. Because of this, I will just barely graduate on time if i pile on the coursework and take 5 courses fall semester, and 6 courses spring(i'm supposed to graduate in may 2003). This is if i choose to finish up prereqs and take physics 1,2, and orgo 2 again. If i don't, i can keep my courseload down to a more manageable 4 classes/semester. Staying an extra semester is not an option.

Now, i'm positive that i'm going to be going into a post bacc program of some sort, but the question is do i stop taking my prereqs now and go into a program that will help me finish them, or just get them done now? I need to decide soon because whether or not i take these classes will determine what kinds of programs i apply for after graduation.

Any advice is welcome!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

First of all you have to decide whther or not you are going to post-bacc. It seems that you did not decide yet. If so, some post-bacc programs require you not have all the classes required for med school taken before entering it. for example John Hopkins requires students to have less than 50% of pre-med requiremnt courses taken in order to apply for their porgrams. I am not sure if this holds true for other programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
you should finish your pre-reqs if you think there is a possiblity that you may be applying to a post-grad program that requires them. i am assuming you may be considering med school since you are posting on this forum and are taking pre-med courses. have you considered summer school or inter-term courses (if your school has them)?

emtgirl,
yeah, this is something i've been considering, but i'm wondering if i should just not finish the prereqs cuz some post bacc programs have a requirement that you are inegilable for the program if prereqs have been completed. I just don't know if i want to go through taking all my prereqs along with a heavy courseload if i'mm going to a post bacc program anyways. there seems to be a lot of programs for "career changers" and for those who have finished their prereqs but want to strengthen their academic record, but not very many for those stuck in between :( ...

ack, i'm not sure if i am coherent or not, i'm writing this at the speed of light- back to work!