1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

ADVICE NEEDED: finish prereqs now or later??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jintonic5, Jun 16, 2002.

1. jintonic5

jintonic5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey all,
    Due to extenuating circumstances I won't be receiving credit for my past semester in orgo2, and two classes i need for my major. Because of this, I will just barely graduate on time if i pile on the coursework and take 5 courses fall semester, and 6 courses spring(i'm supposed to graduate in may 2003). This is if i choose to finish up prereqs and take physics 1,2, and orgo 2 again. If i don't, i can keep my courseload down to a more manageable 4 classes/semester. Staying an extra semester is not an option.

Now, i'm positive that i'm going to be going into a post bacc program of some sort, but the question is do i stop taking my prereqs now and go into a program that will help me finish them, or just get them done now? I need to decide soon because whether or not i take these classes will determine what kinds of programs i apply for after graduation.

Any advice is welcome!!!!!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jintonic5

jintonic5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

4. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member
    7+ Year Member

First of all you have to decide whther or not you are going to post-bacc. It seems that you did not decide yet. If so, some post-bacc programs require you not have all the classes required for med school taken before entering it. for example John Hopkins requires students to have less than 50% of pre-med requiremnt courses taken in order to apply for their porgrams. I am not sure if this holds true for other programs.

5. EMTgirl

EMTgirl Member
    7+ Year Member

you should finish your pre-reqs if you think there is a possiblity that you may be applying to a post-grad program that requires them. i am assuming you may be considering med school since you are posting on this forum and are taking pre-med courses. have you considered summer school or inter-term courses (if your school has them)?

6. jintonic5

jintonic5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

emtgirl,
    yeah, this is something i've been considering, but i'm wondering if i should just not finish the prereqs cuz some post bacc programs have a requirement that you are inegilable for the program if prereqs have been completed. I just don't know if i want to go through taking all my prereqs along with a heavy courseload if i'mm going to a post bacc program anyways. there seems to be a lot of programs for "career changers" and for those who have finished their prereqs but want to strengthen their academic record, but not very many for those stuck in between :( ...

ack, i'm not sure if i am coherent or not, i'm writing this at the speed of light- back to work!