Advice needed for a prospective osteopathic physician! :o)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luwi25

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
You all seem very knowledgeable about applying to Osteopathic schools and the programs so I'm requesting some advice from you all.
Right off the bat...here are my stats:
Graduated UCLA 2001
Presently attending UCLA School of Public Health for my Masters in PH
Cum GPA 3.4
Science GPA 3.1
Huge upward trend
MCAT 7v 9p 11b=27s
research/ ECs/ lots of passion! :oops: )

I presented these stats to allopathic and they were very discouraging about my chances in getting in. I looked into Osteopathic and the program seems very appealing. I don't care about the letters that appear after my name. All I have a passion for is to treat patients and work with people in enhancing their quality of life and health status.

Honestly, do I have a chance of getting into an osteopathic school. I'm a CA resident so which schools are best to apply to? And what are the admissions committees looking for? What types of ECs do they prefer? How do I go about this...is the process similar to allopathic?
Any advice is greatly appreciated! :)
Thanks guys and good luck in all your aspirations.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi LUWI25,
What'up? I am also a UCLA gal, and will be graduating theis spring! Yay! Anyway, I definitely think you have a chance at osteopathic medicine. Your stats sound fine, and I'm sure your volunteer experience, extracurrics, and background will distinguish you from the rest of the applicants. Also, graduating from a school like UCLA, and getting a master's there doesn't hurt either. Good luck with your classes, and try your best to increase your GPA as much as you can. (They LOOOOOVE that!) Also, try to get really good letters of rec, and make sure they are personal and specific to you! :)
BTW, I got interviews at TUCOM and COMP, and was accepted two days after my interview at TUCOM. I visited COMP, but seriously hated the area, so I cancelled my interview and sent in my deposit to TUCOM right away. If you want to stay in Cali, these two schools are great to look into. Otherwise, good luck finding info yourself cause I don't know anything about other schools! (I only applied to Cali schools!) Feel free to e-mail me and ask me any other questions you might have! :wink:

Hey Luwi,
I think your stats are fine and you have a great chance of getting in. I am from Oklahoma, so I am going to OSU-COM. I would appy to Touro and COMP for sure, but if you really want to branch out try some of the other schools. I really liked DMU, but OSU-COM was the the best for me. I like the fact that OSU-COM has small classes (88), good area (Tulsa, right off the Arkansas R.), and really encouraging staff. Anyway, good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have similar stats...3.00 sci/ 3.22 overall GPA and was accepted to TUCOM, COMP, and NYCOM. I haven't heard from PCOM. I will be going to COMP. My MCAT score is lower than yours (26). So, I think you have a great shot at getting into an osteopathic med school. I did a lot of extracurr. activities in college: secretary of a club, volunteer at hospital, shadowed a neurologist and a family physician, worked all 4 years, volunteered at a soup kitchen, went abroad to singapore...In addition, I took a year off to do research in MRI. I applied to MD schools but was not invited to interview at any schools as of yet. :(
I think you'll do just fine. Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement guys! When did you start applying and is the process the same as med schools? What should I be preparing right now...I already have my personal statement. Do they want it to be more directed to osteopathic or should I stress more my passion for being a physician? All the advice is greatly appreciated!