Advice needed for a UK trained psychologist in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi,

I have a number of questions...

I am looking to do a PhD in Clinical Psychology in the US, and the system is vastly different from the UK so any help with the answers is greatly appreciated. I have a 3 year undergraduate degree BSc in Psychology (2:1) (honors) and a Masters Degree in Organizational Psychology (Pass with Merit) from the UK.

I will have to sit the GRE, what sort of scores are they looking for?

Do universities have students teach and / or do research as part of the course?

Does this teaching and research have an impact on tuition?

If the university pays extra for teaching and tutition is covered, can a student still take a student loan to make up some cash?

And finally, can anyone recommend a good book that would guide me through the process?

Many Thanks

Nick

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am looking to do a PhD in Clinical Psychology in the US, and the system is vastly different from the UK so any help with the answers is greatly appreciated. I have a 3 year undergraduate degree BSc in Psychology (2:1) (honors) and a Masters Degree in Organizational Psychology (Pass with Merit) from the UK.

If the university pays extra for teaching and tutition is covered, can a student still take a student loan to make up some cash?

And finally, can anyone recommend a good book that would guide me through the process?

Many Thanks

Nick

For most Ph.D programs, Verbal + Quantitative section combined total between 1150-1300 is the window you need to be in. Writing section is generally not much of a factor.

Yes, TAing and RAing are common in almost evey Ph.D progra, in the US. And yes, this is part of how you earn your stipend. Yes, you cna still take out loans if you need more money.

Insiders Guide (obviously, get the msot recent edition though)
http://www.amazon.com/Insiders-Graduate-Programs-Counseling-Psychology/dp/1593852584

Unless you're an American citizen, you may not qualify for American student loans, so make sure to check that out. Additionally, in order to get a student visa you have to prove that you have enough money to cover your costs (tuition and living expenses).

Additionally, the Psychology Subject GRE is required by many schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Many Thanks

Nick

The "Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology" will help you decide which programs are for you. Also, it will break down each programs mean GPA, GRE, and internship percentages....It list programs concentrations, research areas etc.