Advice needed for nontrad considering med school!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Butterflies14

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I have a few questions and I'm also looking for guidance and advise. I've been an LVN for approx 8 yrs and I've always had the idea of becoming a doctor lurking around in the back of my mind. I started taking prerequisites towards my BSN and have about 7 to 8 months of prerequisites left. Then I have two more yrs to complete the BSN program. As I've started my science classes again I find myself very intrigued and wanting to know how things work at cellular level craving more and more knowledge. Being a nurse isn't good enough for me anymore I want to be a doctor, I want to care for patients on a higher level. I've thought about NP but I don't like their training module and for the type of responsibility that comes with that position I want to have proper training and know that I have the knowledge to treat people accordingly. I know not all NPs are the same but I haven't had the best experience with the ones I've dealt with. Anyway financially I wouldn't have to worry about taking out to much in loans because I have military benefits that would cover most if not all my medical school, my husband is an RN so he makes decent money, and we have my mom here to help us with our daughter (although we do want a second child). I would probably need to take out some loans to help with some finances but nothing crazy. My conflict is I don't know if I should continue on the route I'm taking and just get my BSN then take the lacking prerequisites required for medical school or switch to a premed major. The local school I'm looking into doesn't say they require a Bachelors degree and I just emailed them for clarification. If not then technically I could just take the required courses needed to apply (of course in addition to MCAT) but I don't think it would make me that competitive to other applicants. I was worried about my age being a factor but after reading some of the threads on here I'm not so concerned with it anymore. I'll be 34 this yr and don't want to waist time taking the wrong route or doing more than I really need to. I would like to use my time and benefits productively. I guess I could mention between another program through the military and financial aid I won't have to worry about accumulating debt for my Bachelors degree either.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In your situation, 100% drop the BSN prereqs and aim for a basic science degree or something you're passionate about.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone I have a few questions and I'm also looking for guidance and advise. I've been an LVN for approx 8 yrs and I've always had the idea of becoming a doctor lurking around in the back of my mind. I started taking prerequisites towards my BSN and have about 7 to 8 months of prerequisites left. Then I have two more yrs to complete the BSN program. As I've started my science classes again I find myself very intrigued and wanting to know how things work at cellular level craving more and more knowledge. Being a nurse isn't good enough for me anymore I want to be a doctor, I want to care for patients on a higher level. I've thought about NP but I don't like their training module and for the type of responsibility that comes with that position I want to have proper training and know that I have the knowledge to treat people accordingly. I know not all NPs are the same but I haven't had the best experience with the ones I've dealt with. Anyway financially I wouldn't have to worry about taking out to much in loans because I have military benefits that would cover most if not all my medical school, my husband is an RN so he makes decent money, and we have my mom here to help us with our daughter (although we do want a second child). I would probably need to take out some loans to help with some finances but nothing crazy. My conflict is I don't know if I should continue on the route I'm taking and just get my BSN then take the lacking prerequisites required for medical school or switch to a premed major. The local school I'm looking into doesn't say they require a Bachelors degree and I just emailed them for clarification. If not then technically I could just take the required courses needed to apply (of course in addition to MCAT) but I don't think it would make me that competitive to other applicants. I was worried about my age being a factor but after reading some of the threads on here I'm not so concerned with it anymore. I'll be 34 this yr and don't want to waist time taking the wrong route or doing more than I really need to. I would like to use my time and benefits productively. I guess I could mention between another program through the military and financial aid I won't have to worry about accumulating debt for my Bachelors degree either.

I'm almost positive that ALL medical schools in the country require you to receive a bachelor's degree before you matriculate. So at the very least no you will need to finish a degree in something while satisfying pre reqs.

That said, I wouldn't make this a BSN if I were you. It's not going to be the most straight forward path to med school; you'll have to jump through a lot of difficult nursing hoops. I would look into any science discipline or maybe sociology or psych; something that will allow you to focus primarily on the core pre reqs and graduate fairly quickly.

But again, you will need a BA or BS before you could matriculate.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do yourself a favor and get a traditional Bachelors degree.

Reactions: 2 users
Texas schools and at least one other state that I remember reading don't require you to have a degree, only 90+ hrs, but it is still extremely rare for someone to be accepted without a degree.

Texas schools and at least one other state that I remember reading don't require you to have a degree, only 90+ hrs, but it is still extremely rare for someone to be accepted without a degree.

Thanks! Yeah the school responded and pretty much said a Bachelors isn't required but preferred and most applicants have one. So reading between the lines they are saying get a Bachelors. So I've decided to switch my major to a BS in microbiology and immunology offered at the same university where the medical school I want to attend is located. Good thing is some of my classes I was taking towards my BSN knocks some off this degree not much but a few. I'm so excited to start this journey. I'm sure I'll be posting with a lot more questions. Thanks everyone!

Sounds like you made a great choice. Im super excited for Immunology myself.

As other posters have suggested, clarity and expediency would necessitiate a non-bsn major.