Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Advice needed from wise Med Students!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Luwi25, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Luwi25

Luwi25 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi everyone...I just graduated pre-med/bio from UCLA last June and in terms of med schools, I have a dilemma. I need your honest advice on what you'd do if you were me.
    Dilemma (2 choices):

1.Go to Med school this september in England. Although it is the St.Christopher's college of med program which is sort of set up like the Carribean med school programs (I've done some research on it and it's a pretty decent program although it is still OFFshore) or...

2. Apply this June for Med school in the U.S. for the first time (for entering Sep. 2003) while in the meantime, working on attaining my public health degree at UCLA PH school (which I already got accepted for.)
    Stats: GPA cum 3.4
    lower division science GPA 3.1
    upper division science GPA 3.65
    MCAT (7v, 9p, 11b, s)
    I have the usual med student
    research/internship experience and could
    write a great personal statement.
    What do you guys think. You've been through the process, you know how admissions/stats for U.S. med schools work cause you've all been through it. Should I try to apply to the U.S. while going to public health school? Do you think I'd have a chance to get into ANY US med school or would I merely be wasting my time/money/energy even attempting to apply. All honest opinions would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks Guys! :)

2. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Your GPA and MCAT seem reasonable for acceptance to U.S. Medical Schools...your BS scores is impressive.

I do not think you would be wasting your time applying to U.S. Medical Schools just be sure you use the <a href="http://pnet400.aamc.org/AAMC_Store/itemDetail.cfm?store=PUBLICATIONS&item=ARA1&category=" target="_blank">Medical School Admissions Requirements</a> book to determine which schools have accepted applicants with similar MCAT/GPA. Also apply to some schools that you would really like to attend regardless of their average MCAT/GPA as you never know what the schools are looking for.

Good luck...

3. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    Also check out <a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008219" target="_blank">this thread</a> that has lots of useful information regarding applications for this year.

4. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    Also, check out <a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002237" target="_blank">this thread</a> from last year about someone getting a 26 on the MCAT with a 7 V like you. They were just accepted to a U.S. Medical School this week -- <a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=009472" target="_blank">LINK</a>.

5. dr.evil

dr.evil Senior Member
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Your only true "weakness" is the 7 verbal but you will definitely get interviews and have a decent chance of being accepted. Admission committees will also like the fact that you have a back-up plan (attaining an MPH) and will ask you what you would do with that degree if you don't get into med school.

Unless you're dying to go to England, I'd hang around and apply here. Just be sure to apply at a nice assortment of med schools in all parts of the country.

6. NuMD97

NuMD97 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Give yourself a chance and apply in the US. It's getting harder and harder to get back to the US from abroad. Not impossible, just much greater hurdles than prior decades. Good luck!

7. Luwi25

Luwi25 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks guys for all of your opinions and suggestions! :D You all give me hope. Would you know of any specifically good schools to apply to that are more lenient?

8. vyc

vyc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

is there a list of schools that have AOA?

9. Doctora Foxy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi Luwi! I also got a 27 on the mcat (9,9,9)

I was lucky enough to get 6 interviews (so far), so it can be done! I'm not sure how the difference between scores will come into play though. You can PM me for a list of the 18 schools I applied to (I was very picky and only chose schools I had a shot at, with like 4 reach schools)

Also remember that as a CA resident, you should apply to a large amount of schools, and apply EARLY!

Best of luck to you :)

10. THE instiGATOR

THE instiGATOR Cow Tipper
    7+ Year Member

I think everyone here is being a bit too encouraging. I applied to 15 schools last year with a 3.50 GPA, a 26 MCAT (7V, 9P, 10B), a great personal statement and decent ECs. The result? One interview, which yielded a rejection. I don't think someone with a 7 is guaranteed to get interviews.

I sat out a year, raised my GPA to a 3.63, raised my MCAT to a 30 (9V, 11P, 10B) and beefed up my ECs. Only after doing this did I get an acceptance.

My advice: Apply to US schools but plan to take the August MCAT. Study your butt off for it. I know it is a gamble. Hell, I did it (spent $700+ on the primary app without knowing my second set of scores)! Unfortunately, your chances for admission with your current #s may be slim. Kick them up a notch while applying.

Good luck!

11. Doctora Foxy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    On second thought, I agree with Swampy--if you have mediocre MCATS you need a very solid gpa, and vice versa. If both are below average for accepted med students, you need to beef one up! I would say aim for a great mcat score, (retake it), and then you'll be cool (hopefully). The MPH is also a good idea and probably necessary. You basically need to fix both portions of your application to have a good chance, esp since you are from CA. :)

12. well i hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but none of us is a med student. you're on the PRE-allopath forum. sowwy.

and btw, listen to swampman. most people here are "soo nice" with their advice, but it just doesn't ring true. chances are EXCELLENT that you won't get in with those numbers. i know how you feel. you have to take some time off and fix those numbers. make sure you have a good upward trend in grades (and do very well in that MPH program). otherwise you might be wasting your money on a gamble. now i know what you're thinking..did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement,I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?

13. and fix that verbal will ya

14. I wanted to give advice...but is says only from wise students....so I guess I will keep my trap shut lol

15. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm the one who got into Rush this week after having gotten a 7 in verbal with a 26 total last spring (see links above). Although I did get five interviews and ultimately an acceptance, I have to say that it was the toughest thing I've had to do in my life. Knowing that I was going up against near-certain defeat really had me down for a long time. It has been nothing but anxiety for the last 8 months (Should I have just taken the MCAT? Why am i putting mself through all this with such crappy MCAT scores? You get the idea...). The application process is very rigorous, even for those applying with good stats. If you think you can prepare yourself for the next MCAT administration, I would say you might want to think about it. BUT, if you really have the drive and can take a good beating, give it a shot. I can never tell anyone not to give it a shot ever again.

I will say that the 7 in verbal is not the end of you. There were a lot of other things going my way - research, volunteering, etc. My GPA was 3.8 - a bit higher than what you are applying with. I would say that your best bet is to apply to schools you think you have a shot at - private schools and your state schools - and plan to take the next MCAT. I was all prepared to be taking it over when I got accepted. Do not expect anything, but give it your best shot. You'll probably get secondaries, so really shine on those essays and especially on your primary essay. Everything needs to be perfect to draw attention away from your MCATs. Again, though, be CERTAIN that you want to go through with this before you apply. Applying with low stats is sort of like running a race with your legs tied together - you sort of think "Am I stupid or just masochistic?" But it could happen for you - there's that chance - it really is a gamble of sorts.

If you want to talk about it more, feel free to IM me or email me --&gt; [email protected]

Good luck!