Advice Needed: Graduating Senior (jobs related)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dangoboy85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be graduating this May(BS in Biology/Chemistry) with close to 3.5 GPA (both overall and science), and I will be retaking MCAT (2nd time) in the Summer and applying for the first time afterwards. I volunteered in nursing home last semester and currently volunteering at a local hospital (ER Department), but I still wish to build up on my clinical experience as much as possible before going to med school. So, I have an extra year (or more) to do as I wish with my bachelor. I want to be exposed to the medical field as much as I can during my time off and was wondering what would be the best option(s).

My wish is to work in the hospital as opposed to doing research (I did research last summer but did not enjoy it). My question of interest would be: what jobs in hospital could be attained with minimal requirements (and shortest amount of time) with my bachelor? I've been gathering information about PT/PTA, CNA, EMT, and I'm most interested in EMT out of the those. I've also searched through opening spots in my local hospitals and the ones that appealed to me are Phlebotomist and Medical Technologist.

To recap; I want to work in a local hospital (with bachelor requirement if possible) while volunteering during my year(s) off before ultimately stepping my foot into the realm of the elites in Med School.

Again, I'm not looking to improve my application with these jobs, but rather to gain life experience and knowledge to whatever I may be confronted in life in the future. Thank you for your time :)

Members don't see this ad.

hey, sounds exactly like the same situation I am in....... currently i am looking into being a dialysis technician, but not sure how exciting that would be. I would really like to be an EMT, but it seems like a bunch of hoops to jump through if I decided to apply this year and go to medical school the next year. Kind of a tough situation if you ask me....

Those all sound like great ideas and strong ways to increase your knowledge of medicine. I have a friend that has been a med tech at a really busy ER and he has learned so much. He can already do so many things that we'll be learning in med school and really enjoys his work. I do clinical research at a major children's hospital and that allows me to interact with patients on the research side and do some basic diabetes education since that is the area I research in.

I think it's a great way to learn about the research side of medicine and see how medicine evolves from the ground up. If you have a chance to do anything like that, I would definately encourage it!