Advice Needed/How to conquer the BEAST

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rneree

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:oops:

Hi gang, been a bi-stander for a bit and finally ready to join the team of physicians in the making. I am the mother of triplet 1year olds, and after seeing their medical miracle story first hand I have decided that medicine may indeed be my calling.

HUGE QUESTION: :confused: Can you do well on MCATS with dvd lectures (mcat-prep), review books on subjects, and aamc practice materials if you haven't been in these classes for 8+ years? It would be pushing it to sign up for two classes now, since the semester starts in about a week, so I was hoping I could learn on my own and it would all "come back to me". I really want to get my feet wet with a Spring MCAt, leaving me enought time to take one in the summer if I don't do well. I'm hoping that if I bury myself into a book and use the library resources this will do the trick, IN ADDITION to letting me know if I have the "STUFF" to make it in Medical School (long hours of studying, mostly self motivated efforts)

I REALLY need you guys/ and girls help on this one? :scared: Is this a good or bad idea? Why or why not? Any tips? Also, I'm hoping some of the Physics, Org. Chem professors will help me during their office hours since I will be taking all of this next semester....

SECOND QUESTION: Can I take Physics I & II AND ORG I & II during the summer term together, or is that just insane?? :eek:

I Know I will have to take prereqs, like Org. and Physics and another biology to strenghten myself as an applicant.

THEORY II :rolleyes:
there MAY be a chance to squeeze into Physics and/or Bio II this week, but I'm wondering if taking the classes at the same time as studying for the exam will be a dilute of material relevant for the MCAT. Whereas if I study JUST MCAT testing material I will focus on the important facts and equations, instead of doing lab reports and irrelevant course work.

Do you think prof. will be willing to help me if there is something that I just "don't get?" Any opinion on my "dilute the facts" theory.

:thumbup: I have ALL previous AAMC exams so I will have a good idea on what my score will be towards the end of review...If I'm not scoring consistently in the low to mid 30's I'll bail and put it off until I've taken prereqs. I just hate to put of my application because I've not taken the MCAT. Prereqs can be done (On a limited basis) during the year prior to start, so I have time to tie up one or two

Any thoughts from those who've been there, done that???

To GREAT DOCS In the making! :luck: your way

Mommy to three love ANGELS!, :love:
R. Neree

Members don't see this ad.

Question 1: My advice would be take the test and see how you do. If you really learned the material the first time around, you might remember more of it than you think...it has been 12 years since my last prereq/MCAT, and I dropped about 4 points from the first time I took it. If you just "crammed for the test" and didn't try to learn the principles the first time around you'll probably need to repeat some classes.

Question 2: Talking all of those hours seems like a heckuva lot to me. Have you not taken those courses yet? I thought about repeating ochem but was encouraged to go straight into biochem and I'm glad I was. My point is that if you can go straight into more advanced classes, rather than repeating the prereqs, it might be more interesting for you because you'll be learning new material.

Good luck!!!

GwinnettPreMed said:
Question 1: My advice would be take the test and see how you do. If you really learned the material the first time around, you might remember more of it than you think...it has been 12 years since my last prereq/MCAT, and I dropped about 4 points from the first time I took it. If you just "crammed for the test" and didn't try to learn the principles the first time around you'll probably need to repeat some classes.

Question 2: Talking all of those hours seems like a heckuva lot to me. Have you not taken those courses yet? I thought about repeating ochem but was encouraged to go straight into biochem and I'm glad I was. My point is that if you can go straight into more advanced classes, rather than repeating the prereqs, it might be more interesting for you because you'll be learning new material.

Good luck!!!

Thanks for responding. Yeah, I've had all those courses, but if I don't ace the mcat 1st round I'll probably be proving I need to retake them. I think I can load up since I kind of "know" the basics. I was the top student in most of my undergrad classes, so I don't want to be filling like "duhhh" if I don't have to. But now that I'm reviewing I feel like a complete idoit! I guess haveing triplets warps your mind AND body ;)...althought I'm proud to say only ONE stretch mark! :) But then again they were all under 2lbs. :( They are real fighters! Just like mommy :) :p

R.Neree
--Never forget the compassion behind the medicine, and you will all be someone to be remembered.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you have a good gameplan laid out. I would only take courses if you really need them (low scores on practice exams). You would be an older nontraditional student who has already let years go by so don't rush this process now. Give yourself plenty of time to ace this exam in one sitting.

How good is your support structure? Does your husband work full-time? If so, would you be able to afford quality childcare for your triplets? I only ask these q's because one guy in my class has a child and some days he just doesn't get to study at night because of his child (split custody...so he can't always rely on someone to be there). I can tell it is very hard on him, but am always amazed at how well he handles it. Med School is going to be rough, more rough for you because there will be times you will not be able to spend quality time with your children. In fact, later in life, you may well feel like you missed alot of good times in their lives. Of course, you will make sacrifices, but there are only so many sacrifices one can make and still survive med school.

Best of luck to you!

IUSM

If you want to go to medical school, make SURE that you have all of your childcare taken care of BEFORE you start the process. Medicine has miraculous moments, but the process is very long, and the hours are extremely variable. I can tell you that though it can be done, I know mothers (Very well) that have had trouble because their husbands are in medical school. You will give up a lot of time with your kids, and your SO will pick up a disproportionate share of the housework and childcare. Is it worth it? Only you can decide that. :)

Hi there,
This is a duplicate of a post in Non-Trad and I am therefore, closing this one. Anyone who wants to reply can go over there and reply.
njbmd :)

Status
Not open for further replies.