Advice Needed-PLEASE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

umich18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a freshman at the University of Michigan, and I am really dedicated to hopefully attending medical school one day. My first semester did not go as well as I wanted to, taking three science classes and not performing at the level I had desired. I wish this came from a lack of hardwork, or laziness. I ended up with almost a 3.5 (3.48). I took my first organic chemistry exam a couple of days ago, and I truly thought I had been prepared. Everyday, I studied for at least a couple of hours, doing rigorous practice, and I even have deep interest in chemistry. It really sucks that something I enjoy is not going well whatsoever. I am not into medicine for the money, for the prestige, or any of that, but I genuinely want to attend medical school for reasons any genuine doctor did. I did not do well on the Orgo exam, and I thought I was prepared. I saw the tedious mistakes I made, and these could have been corrected. I attended office hours, all of them--I even attended my Professor's out of class workshops. I did not fail the exam, but I did not perform at the level I wanted to. So much of the time, when these disappointing moments arise, I want to give up on all of my medical aspirations. It is a horrible feeling, and I do feel like I am alone so much of the time with this problem. I have a burning desire to learn, and I try my best to study as efficiently as possibly, and I have not been as successful as I have wanted to.

I am seeking advice, from anyone. Any doctor, anybody in medical school, anybody who faced the same issues I am facing now. I am working so hard, and so much of the time, it is not paying off how I want it to. It is absolutely heartbreaking, because I truly do have a passion for this.

I appreciate all of your assistance, kind words, and meaningful advice in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if you're trolling or not...

Either way; get over yourself. This is not the place to rant like a neurotic pre-med, that is what friends are for. Your GPA is fine.

Toughen up bro.

I almost want to laugh. Like... its your first semester and you dont even have a terrible gpa. I would advise studying more. I personally did not have extreme trouble with school... its the mcat thats putting me through bouts of emotional pain right now. I've been out of school for 2 years and I ended up with a competitive gpa for MD schools. The MCAT is keeping me out. Anyways point is, with some more work and studying more hours a day, you should be fine. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE the MCAT.

Do not do not do not underestimate the MCAT. You'll probably do fine in school. When I was having trouble with a class I just did more problems related to it rather than reading the chapters. I went to office hours, and such. Plus you are just getting used to college. I had a friend who started off with a 2.7 gpa in his 1st semester and he got accepted to a DO school just this last month.

Members don't see this ad :)
Learn how to improve because not all A students in high school will be A students in college. And likewise not all A students in college will be A students in medical school. Those that can adapt and transition better will perform better. Go to the school's academic help center or have an upperclassman tutor you. Its on you to find out how you can make this procress work out for you because everyone is different.

Having the passion and working hard are not pre-reqs for medical schools. The earlier you understand that the better off you will be.

Reactions: 1 user
Adjust your expectations to the reality that you are not a special flower that gets straight As. Dealing with adversity now will be incredibly helpful down the road.

Resilience is vital. And also perspective.

So far, you're not doing as brilliantly as you hoped. I get that, and I'm sorry. But the game is far, far from over, so you need to get back up and keep on going -- so resilience. This was semester one, and you've got at least five more before you apply. But you're also not doing badly at all by even the highest standards -- so perspective. Many medical students are accepted with GPAs around the 3.5-3.6 mark, so you're certainly not out of the game, and many students have a hard time adjusting to college -- and their first year grades reflect that. If there's ever a time to 'goof up', this is it.

There's working hard and working smart. It sounds like you're working hard, so check to be sure you're working smart. Are you making careless mistakes? Misreading the questions slightly so the question you answer is not quite the one that was asked? Are you running out of time? Do you panic when it's test time?

Sounds like you're doing many of the right things -- attending office hours and review sessions. You go to class every time, right? And you listen actively when the professor is teaching? Maybe try pre-reading the assignments so what you learn fits more easily and you can ask better questions. Then re-write your notes shortly after class to cement things in and identify any points you're unclear on.

Mainly though, just cut yourself some slack, keep trying your best (without going neurotic and having zero fun), and keep the end-game in sight.