advice needed..please..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docappi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've noticed that this is a very helpful site...so hoping to get some proper guidance.
I finished my part-1 this july and have got not a good score...86.I am on a dependent visa here..and am in a fix now.We cannot think about getting a green card for another 3+ yrs...so my doubts are..
1.What incase i take such a huge amt for loans and our g.c gets rejected or so and we're forced to return back to India??we're in a mess then,right??
2.Lomalinda was slightly better with half the fees less..but i made a mistake of not applying before deadline..are there any other colleges with fee structure in that range?
3.Which are the schools that I can apply for now?maybe i'll run out of time for those too.
I am lost..want to study..but my husband is not ready to take such a major financial risk...he says wht if i can't earn back and repay??I don't want to go against him,but at the same time don't want to give up my profession.
I have a bad GPA as well...2.75;TOEFL is 273.
Any guidance is highly appreciated.
thanks.:( :( :(

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to schools after 3 yrs. It might feel like an era but it'll be here before you know it. It's the safest thing to do.
In the meanwhile work on making your resume stronger.

Hi,
Thanks a lot for ur reply.I am from Bangalore,India.Feels so good to see so many Indians post their thoughts in here.
But Henna..I din't understand by ur "making my resume stronger in the meantime"...do u mean that i Should repeat part-1...i know tht 86 is not that good a score.I am working as a dental assistant for the time being..but have my work permit only till april..then I'm lost.Should i do some hygienist's course meanwhile..or try for MS...could u give me some subjects to opt for....maybe i should change my profession??All this finance trouble is scaring me.
PLEASE HELP!!
Suggestions from anybody is highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well ! All the options you've thought about sounds fine to me , its upto you to choose what you'd like to do.
A hygienist program will definitely be a plus. You can also think about doing a fellowship if you are interested in an particular field, it will improve your chances of being accepted into the ID program, you can also do externships( ie if you think you'd like to do PG in oral surgery in the future , you can do externships etc in that field ).
Or you can do research which is also looked upon very highly.
These are some of the ways your can make you resume stronger.

If you plan to apply only after 3 yrs then you might aswell take part 1 again just to make sure your scores are still in the competitive range ( with every yr the cut off score moves a bit higher ).
Your confusion is very understable, dont get too stressed out. Everything happens for a reason.

I wouldnt recommend taking such a big risk and enrolling into a program right now, but having said that I do know a couple of ppl who have taken that risk and are doing just fine.

hey,
cheer up.im pretty much in the same situation as u are .my gpa is 3.1,not yet taken toefel,part1 is 94.
so i dont know what my odds out there are at the present.
im from blore too,and have come here after my marriage.
right now im focussing on my part2 exams and im taking really teeny tiny baby steps at this juncture(with all this green card etc ).dont stress out.maybe u can retake ur part1 exam coz it will improve ur odds out there.

Hi,

How important is the GPA to get into school.I have good part 1 score though

Thanks.

Thank u all.Henna,Divya and Rajkang.
I was thinking of California licensure exams...is it true that we can still take part-3 if we complete part-2 by dec 2003?When i called up the board,they said that there has been no extensions and they are returning the application fees that they've already received.I'm lost there too!!
What about the Minnesota licensure?Can anybody please throw some light on that?I rather prefer schooling for 2yrs and get a comprehensive knowledge abt the system here...since "beggars are no choosers"..I'm trying all options out.
Hi divya...great to here tht you are from B'lore too.U have a great part-1 score.Congrats!Atleast one weight is off ur shoulders.I'm thinking of taking part-2 too..maybe we can share some views:)
Hi Rajkang..wht if nobody sponsors H-1 after i graduate?Can u give me a sure shot website that specifies the states that offer it?Do u think Canada is a easier place to practice without visa trouble after DDS?

Originally posted by docappi
.........What about the Minnesota licensure?Can anybody please throw some light on that?.......

Docappi do you have post-graduates studies in dentistry? From what I've heard Minnesota grants license easier to the foreing trained dentist that have post graduate studies. This topic about Minnesota has been discussed before in this forum, you should perform a search and read them. Those old threads have information, but you should still contact the board to find out.

Good luck!

yes Rajkang..i've just applied to UPENN,BU,NYU..tho' first 2 are way out of my league.I'm just giving a shot.Does Minnesota have the same Bench exam and clinical exam like California?Coz Duggan's mentions only abt Cal and Nevada board exams.Do we really get a yr's work permit on F-1 visa?I wasn't aware of that.Thanks again for the website.But do they have classes conducted here ...NY,Minnesota etc?Or do we have to stay in California?How are the prospects of that?I am full of confusions.
Meggs..no..I'm not a post graduate..but just a dentist with bachelor's degree from India.chances reduced there too..huh?
The problem is...my husband is planning to move in april..and 50% of the decision is based on where my prospects are good..so I'm lost!!:(
pls help..just can't think!!

...i've just applied to UPENN,BU,NYU..tho' first 2 are way out of my league.I'm just giving a shot....

So am I. I guess will meet in NYU. :laugh: :laugh:

...Do we really get a yr's work permit on F-1 visa?I wasn't aware of that.

Neither was I.

hi meggs,
this ethinc diversity thing holds good for upenn..and u have all that it takes to impress dr.lopez at the interview...moreso u being hispanic will be of great help.i have read a couple of ur posts and i think you can make it into upenn.i am saying this b'cos i know one of my seniors in the dental school also had 84 and now is on the verge of completing the PASS program.
good luck to u....
mili:)

Originally posted by meggs
So am I. I guess will meet in NYU. :laugh: :laugh:

Neither was I.

Originally posted by mili
hi meggs,
this ethinc diversity thing holds good for upenn..and u have all that it takes to impress dr.lopez at the interview...moreso u being hispanic will be of great help.i have read a couple of ur posts and i think you can make it into upenn.i am saying this b'cos i know one of my seniors in the dental school also had 84 and now is on the verge of completing the PASS program.
good luck to u....

Oh my God mili, I love you!!!!:clap: :clap: Thanks for cheering me up!!, You're so nice. :D Could you PLEASE tell me more about your experience and what you know about those AdComs????
Are you currently enrolled in UPenn? If you want you can PM me.
THANKS!!!! :clap:

hi meggs,
well i dunno much about the interviews .I too am applying for the DDS this year.but u sure have advantage over the others . put in your best.i am sure you will be able to stand out from the rest..
good luck