Advice needed- Should I apply to peds residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentist717

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a D3 and am thinking of applying to peds residency. I always wanted to go into peds but never thought I had the grades for it. But I also think I'll regret it if I don't try. I have extensive research experience from undergrad but not from dental school. I do have a decent amount of volunteer, shadowing, inreach, and outreach experience though and I'm a member of a few different clubs. I also have a lot of experience working with kids and worked a daycare for over 5 years. I know that I can make my personal statement unique as I really do have a passion for working with kids but I don't know if I even stand a chance because of my gpa. And I'm not sure exactly when I will have to send transcripts out for the application so I don't know how much time I'll have to bring up my gpa. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Peds has become much more competitive since I graduated in 2004. I’ve lost my mind, and am selling my private practice and am in the middle of the current application cycle, and a lot of the programs have mentioned that they received a record number of applications this year.

My grades weren’t the best either, and I’d didn’t do research. At the time, I had zero interest in specializing so I didn’t really set myself up for that.

I applied to 22 programs and so far I’ve received 3 interviews and been rejected/ghosted by 17. It’s tough going.

Two of the programs I got interviews at were from programs that are heavily focused on SHCN underserved patients, which is my area of interest. I think that’s the reason I got interviews there—I fit a specific niche that the directors at those programs are very passionate about.

The third program is one at which I did a 3 day observership. Also one of my recommendations was from an alum.

My point is, I think with less than stellar grades it’s doable but tough. You’ll need another way to stand out. Anything you can do to make connections with those programs, like externships is so important.

The only thing you have to lose is time and money. You could always apply to pedo and GPRs with decent pedo exposure and if you end up in a GPR you can reapply the next year.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree. Nothing to lose except time and money by applying. Apply to as many as you can, but also apply to non-VA GPR programs as a backup (you won’t see kids in VA programs and hospital-based GPR experience is more applicable to peds than AEGD experience)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently a D3 and am thinking of applying to peds residency. I always wanted to go into peds but never thought I had the grades for it. But I also think I'll regret it if I don't try. My gpa is a 3.26. I have extensive research experience from undergrad but not from dental school. I do have a decent amount of volunteer, shadowing, inreach, and outreach experience though and I'm a member of a few different clubs. I also have a lot of experience working with kids and worked a daycare for over 5 years. I know that I can make my personal statement unique as I really do have a passion for working with kids but I don't know if I even stand a chance because of my gpa. And I'm not sure exactly when I will have to send transcripts out for the application so I don't know how much time I'll have to bring up my gpa. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
As long as you apply broadly (15+ programs) and include some less competitive programs (maybe ppl don't want to go there because of location or they have tuition), I think you'll have a chance. You can't change your grades anymore so work on the things you can improve like getting more experience - volunteering at special olympics, missions of mercy, working with vulnerable populations, medicaid, federally qualified health centers, getting out in the community and working with pediatric or special needs populations. Programs actually read your personal statement and look at your resume so if they can see your passion, they should give you a chance :) Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently a D3 and am thinking of applying to peds residency. I always wanted to go into peds but never thought I had the grades for it. But I also think I'll regret it if I don't try. My gpa is a 3.26. I have extensive research experience from undergrad but not from dental school. I do have a decent amount of volunteer, shadowing, inreach, and outreach experience though and I'm a member of a few different clubs. I also have a lot of experience working with kids and worked a daycare for over 5 years. I know that I can make my personal statement unique as I really do have a passion for working with kids but I don't know if I even stand a chance because of my gpa. And I'm not sure exactly when I will have to send transcripts out for the application so I don't know how much time I'll have to bring up my gpa. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

100% you should apply...and don’t half ass it either. Extern and Apply to a bunch of programs. My wife is peds and i can tell you if you’ve got that personality where you can work with kids (without murder/suicide) it’s a fantastic career. Short residency, lots of jobs out there, great salary, and a great lifestyle.

If you know you want to work exclusively with children, apply. You may not get in, but also apply to AEGDs and GPRs and then reapply.

Your class rank is only one part of your application, although it’s an important part, you can still get in. Probably going to go the route of GPR to pedo or GPR to 2 years experience to pedo.

Applying several times is considered favorable.

As long as you apply broadly (15+ programs) and include some less competitive programs (maybe ppl don't want to go there because of location or they have tuition), I think you'll have a chance. You can't change your grades anymore so work on the things you can improve like getting more experience - volunteering at special olympics, missions of mercy, working with vulnerable populations, medicaid, federally qualified health centers, getting out in the community and working with pediatric or special needs populations. Programs actually read your personal statement and look at your resume so if they can see your passion, they should give you a chance :) Good luck!
Thank you!!

This thread literally made me feel so much better. I am in the same position as OP and I have been so doubtful some days.

Why not just work as a GP in a peds office, until you get enough experience then you can open your own peds office as a GP? Its doable and I have friends that own a few peds offices and they are GPs. That degree doesn't do much for you that a few CE courses and private practice experience can do. It will actually put you more in debt TBH.

I'm pretty sure you can't advertise yourself as peds dentist/office if you're a GP.
You can't name your practice "City name Pediatric dentistry" but you can call it "City name Kids Dental"

It depends on the state. In Michigan you could say “Practice limited to children”

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think a few CE courses replaces a 2 year certificate and being a board certified pediatric dentist...just saying