Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Advice Needed: Speaking with Assisstant Dean

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Osteopathic [ DO ]' started by TheUnderdogSupreme, 05.14.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. TheUnderdogSupreme

TheUnderdogSupreme 2+ Year Member

Xxxx

Last edited: 06.23.15
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. WesternRedCedar

WesternRedCedar

Pre-Medical
    Attend and show how you have improved over time, having a low GPA for in-state schools, doesn't always mean you are SOL. People understand a bad freshman year, and significant trends.

They could really like your lab research.

TheUnderdogSupreme likes this.
  4. DoctorKrieger

DoctorKrieger Exit Van Left 2+ Year Member

Call the dean and tell her you're afraid she may have been misled as to your gpa but that if she's still interested you'd enjoy meeting with her and discussing your resume. People in high places can get you in regardless of your stats, I'd take the opportunity. Worst they can do is say no.

5. TheUnderdogSupreme

Many thanks for both of the responses. I will use the advice given and see what happens. Thanks again.

6. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    Just smile, be earnest, and show the humility that you have so far. When the Dean finds out that you have a <3.0 GPA, s/he will probably go "oh", make a few pleasantries, and politely end the conversation.

Use this as an opportunity to find out about the med school application/admissions process, and med school curricula. It's still a learning experience.

Then thank your attending/PI for being so kind.

7. happypremed1

happypremed1 2+ Year Member

Your boss clearly knows that connection can get you into med school. I don't know if your boss had disclosed your GPA to the Dean. Maybe try to ask him before the meeting with the Dean.
    I think the meeting is just going to be an informal chat to find out who you are as a person. If the low GPA is brought up, the Dean will offer you some advice on how to improve your application. Also ask the Dean about how you should go about addressing this issue in your application. I think your boss must have some serious power for the Dean to grant you a personal meeting, and that's a good thing because you know that your PI's LOR will be good and it will carry some weight. Take this meeting as an opportunity to make a connection with someone who can decide whether you can get an interview at the medical school.

8. WesternRedCedar

WesternRedCedar

Pre-Medical
    Happypremed1 and goro are spot on, be forthright and you never know, it could be a situation where connections may get you an interview. He/she may also provide you with tips on how to make your application more competitive (it seems the research you do is highly regarded, that your PI has relative pull)

9. TheUnderdogSupreme

Xx

Last edited: 06.23.15

About the ads