Advice Needed: Very Frustrated & Confused with Direction of my LIfe!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kashmoneyhero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am currently in a major debacle and having a pre-midlife crisis. I have a 3.8 cGPA and a 3.8 sGPA at an ivy league school (in my senior year currently). Mcat scores of 22, 27R, then 25 (in order of having taken it 3 times last year). I applied to 40 MD med schools for this cycle, submitted secondaries quite late in september. Then I selected 2 DO schools, and submitted their secondaries in early november. I also applied to SGU for the hell of it.

I just don't know what to do at this point. I have received only pre-interview rejections from half of the 40 MD schools, no word from either DOs or SGU yet, so basically I have nothing planned for this upcoming year. I haven't even applied for any jobs.

Here are my options for now, provide feedback on these please:
1) To retake the MCAT in january and beyond? (not a fan of this, what makes you think my score will go up if I have been in range of 22-27 after giving it my best shot for 5 straight months, verbal is stuck at 6 btw)
2) Add more DO schools in the hope of getting into just one? is it too late for this cycle?
3) Just go to SGU and hope I make it back to the US for residency?
4) Apply for menial jobs that will "strengthen" my application, which to be quite honest, I am fed up with doing (like "strengthening" my application, since I already have 3 years of lab research experience in undergrad and major awards/stipends with regard to my work in these labs)

Any suggestions on what to do next? I am just very confused and frustrated with the direction of my life right now. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I am currently in a major debacle and having a pre-midlife crisis. I have a 3.6 cGPA and a 3.7 sGPA at an ivy league school (in my senior year currently) with a very spotty downhill trending transcript of primarily Bs most recently. Mcat scores of 22, 27R, then 25 (in order of having taken it 3 times last year). I applied to 40 MD med schools for this cycle, submitted secondaries quite late in september. Then I selected 2 DO schools, and submitted their secondaries in early november. I also applied to SGU for the hell of it.

I just don't know what to do at this point. I have received only pre-interview rejections from half of the 40 MD schools, no word from either DOs or SGU yet, so basically I have nothing planned for this upcoming year. I haven't even applied for any jobs.

1) To retake the MCAT in january and beyond? (not a fan of this, what makes you think my score will go up if I have been in range of 22-27 after giving it my best shot for 5 straight months, verbal is stuck at 6 btw)
2) Add more DO schools in the hope of getting into just one? is it too late for this cycle?
4) Apply for menial jobs that will "strengthen" my application, which to be quite honest, I am fed up with doing (like "strengthening" my application, since I already have 3 years of lab research experience in undergrad and major awards/stipends with regard to my work in these labs)

Any suggestions on what to do next? I am just very confused and frustrated with the direction of my life right now. Thanks.

You're butting your head against the wall repeatedly/impatiently. You need to stand back and breath. You're only ruining yourself more and more if you keep acting like this. Take your time and retake your MCAT because that score's not getting you anywhere. Reapply broadly/early and get a job that you find interesting for the next year that will help your application.

Also, there shouldn't be any confusion with what you need to do. It just seems like you don't want to do it.

Just out of curiosity, what did you use to study for the MCAT? I was in the same position last summer and changed my study method and my score went up considerably (went from a 26O to a 22Q to a 30O). MY GPA is very similar to yours and I have now been accepted to two MD schools.

My suggestion would be to look at how you were studying for the MCAT and see if there could be some changes made there.

It is also not too late for you to get a job. I didn't start applying for jobs until around February/March of this year and got my current position at the end of April. It seems like you have some research experience, so if that is what you are interested in, I am sure you could find labs pretty easily willing to hire you. If you don't want to do research and feel you don't need strengthen your application, use the time to do something you really want to do, such as travel or volunteer. I am assuming you still have a semester of school left, so use this semester to apply for jobs and take the next year off. I would say don't attend SGU at this point and re-apply again next year. I took a year off after my bout of bad MCAT scores, and am extremely happy with my decision. I didn't realize how burnt out I truly was until I didn't have to take classes anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying to only 2 DO schools was an error for someone with your MCAT score. Go get a 9-5 and study for the MCAT like you've never studied before. Like a 2nd job, for months. I can't understand how you could have prepared adequately and only gotten a 6 in VR. That's not consistent with doing well at a competitive Ivy League school.:confused:
When you score in the 30s on the full practice tests, reapply. And don't discount DO, it may be your best option. Allo schools may not get over your horrible MCAT history, and grade inflation?
I would also start considering other career options.
You can go carribean, but you risk washing out with nothing to show for it but a $50k bill.

4) Apply for menial jobs that will "strengthen" my application, which to be quite honest, I am fed up with doing (like "strengthening" my application, since I already have 3 years of lab research experience in undergrad and major awards/stipends with regard to my work in these labs).

Stop doing that.

Don't do stuff to "Strengthen" your application. That has got to be the number one error of most pre-meds. Why the heck would you do something you don't want to do? Thats just not smart. Not only that but even if you had some interviews when you went to talk about your activities you wouldn't be excited about them and it would probably be a terribly interview (when I was still interviewing applicants I had several like this - terrible to talk to - they never had anything to talk about even though their resume LOOKED impressive).

Med school is apparently not going to work out next year. So what would you like to do for the next year or two? Surely there is something you want to do? There are so many options for you!

1) Get a job. Yes a job. These can be fun and rewarding and pay. I loved my full-time job when I took a year off and enjoyed having spending money for a year. Had plenty of time to work out and develop new hobbies. You might not make a ton but there are plenty of opportunites for mature, hard-working, responsible recent college grads that pay $12-15/hr which is decent. If you already have connections through a part-time job then even better.
2) Americorps is an awesome health related program that pays a *very modest* stipend.
3) Teach for America is an incredible opportunity that is fairly easy to get accepted to if you want to try teaching in a really interesting area for a year.
4) Interested in international stuff? See about joining the peace corps
5) Got family/saved money? Can you travel? Backpack through europe - have an adventure.
6) Any other dreams, wishes, etc? Medicine isn't the only thing out there. Find something you want to do for a year or two!

You can get over your MCAT hurdle. I went from a 23, 25, 24 to a 31. Just realize that everything you did before to prepare was inadequate and start from scratch. Also, take the AAMC practice tests and your average will be your score. Nothing miraculous ever happens on test day. Good luck. Be thankful that the MCAT is your problem and not the GPA. Much easier to fix.

I'm sure you know already, but the rest of your application probably isn't what needs work. You've got to boost the MCAT score to at least a near 30.

Applying to only 2 DO schools was an error for someone with your MCAT score. Go get a 9-5 and study for the MCAT like you've never studied before. Like a 2nd job, for months. I can't understand how you could have prepared adequately and only gotten a 6 in VR. That's not consistent with doing well at a competitive Ivy League school.:confused:

:ahem:grade inflation:ahem:

For OP, I'm still not used to the new MCAT schedule and seeing people take it more than once. I ask the same as everyone else - how the heck are you studying for the test? Did you do a PR or Kaplan course? If you're doing everything you should and not even hitting a 30, I'd say you need to focus entirely on DO programs.

OP, I have certainly had my struggles with the MCAT. :smuggrin: IMHO, most MD programs screen out people with MCATs under 30. If you think you can get the score up above 30 you will be in good shape with an early application next year. If you don't think you can bring that up, apply early to DO. Early is key - have everything ready to go the day AMCAS/AACOMAS opens.

One other thing... you don't mention any shadowing or clinical experience. Could also be a factor. Maybe a gap year job that would add to your hours in this area?

When you score in the 30s on the full practice tests, reapply. And don't discount DO, it may be your best option. Allo schools may not get over your horrible MCAT history, and grade inflation?
I would also start considering other career options.
You can go carribean, but you risk washing out with nothing to show for it but a $50k bill.

Welcome to Grade Inflation 101. Princeton actually had to make rule that no more than 40% of students could get an A/A+ in a course! That's absolutely pathetic, but it means the OP was below average at his/her school in at least 20% of his/her classes. In other words, had the OP attended somewhere else, his/her GPA would have been in the mid 3s, which is MUCH more believable considering the low VR. Oh well...it is what it is.

Grade inflation or not, a 6 is a really horrible score, which I still cannot imagine a real Ivy League (or equivalent) graduate scoring on the exam. It doesn't make any sense to me. It's simple reading comprehension and application. That's core Ivy.

I have a 3.8 cGPA and a 3.8 sGPA at an ivy league school (in my senior year currently). Mcat scores of 22, 27R, then 25 (in order of having taken it 3 times last year).
Ivy league grade inflation much?

Grade inflation or not, a 6 is a really horrible score, which I still cannot imagine a real Ivy League (or equivalent) graduate scoring on the exam. It doesn't make any sense to me. It's simple reading comprehension and application. That's core Ivy.
It's possible. Maybe the OP is one of those people who got in with the help of prep schools which are only interested in increasing your high school GPA and SAT scores for the purpose of getting into an Ivy. In other words, the OP shouldn't have deserved to be at an Ivy in the first place.

Actually, the OP smells like a troll who wants to give Ivys a bad name, considering it's his first post... Also, it's hard to be that dumb if you went to an Ivy AND scored 3.8 cGPA and sGPA, even if what I just said above is true.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Troll. :thumbup:

"kashmoneyhero"? Why not "getsomeblingbling" or "yomama24/7"?

Anybody with half a brain isn't going to burn through three MCAT tries in a year with scores that low, Ivy or not.

not really. i didn't go to an ivy myself but know quite a few who did. the inflation is a myth. the kids are just that good. i bet this op is really good at his major. i'd also venture to say that english is not his first language.

the op should talk to someone very specifically about his mcat struggles. does he not finish reading the passages in time? in that case i'd suggest a speed reading software. it'll help him to see his reading speed and try to improve it. i wish i had known about speed reading 9 years ago. it doesn't work for everyone but it worked for me. i thought it was a hoax because i didn't know about it. i'd tell the op to give it a shot for a month. nothing to lose.

op - don't worry. you just have one stupid test to beat. you can do it. raising a gpa is far more expensive & time consuming - you've already done the hard part.

not really. i didn't go to an ivy myself but know quite a few who did. the inflation is a myth. the kids are just that good. i bet this op is really good at his major. i'd also venture to say that english is not his first language.
It's not a myth, though I don't deny that Ivy kids aren't good. Just because you know "quite a few" at an Ivy that are so good doesn't say anything... There have actually been studies demonstrating the presence of grade inflation an Ivy schools, with some Ivys worse than others.

troll. :thumbup:

"kashmoneyhero"? Why not "getsomeblingbling" or "yomama24/7"?

anybody with half a brain isn't going to burn through three mcat tries in a year with scores that low, ivy or not.

+1

So I am currently in a major debacle and having a pre-midlife crisis. I have a 3.8 cGPA and a 3.8 sGPA at an ivy league school (in my senior year currently). Mcat scores of 22, 27R, then 25 (in order of having taken it 3 times last year). I applied to 40 MD med schools for this cycle, submitted secondaries quite late in september. Then I selected 2 DO schools, and submitted their secondaries in early november. I also applied to SGU for the hell of it.

Well, first i would say breathe. It sounds like you have done A LOT of work. As someone who only applied to 11 schools in this application cycle, i commend you on applying to 43 while in your senior year of undergrad.

1.) With that being said, I would not suggest that you retake the MCAT just yet. Since your score went down on your last attempt, i would suggest holding off until it is absolutely necessary.

2.) If you can added more DO schools, I would. I feel like it might be to late in this cycle. However, don't give up on the DO schools you applied to. It is only December and unless one of them is Texas, i believe you still have a chance in the cycle we are in.

3.) If you want to take that chance and go to SGU, I say do it. However, i want to ask you one question: What is more important to you--getting in this year or getting into the best school for you? If you are determined to be a part of the class of 2015, i say go with whoever accepts you. But if you are willing to wait, i would really study for the MCAT to boost my score and apply next year.

4.) If you do wait, 3 years of research is a lot to already have on your resume! In my honest opinion, i don't think a year of post-bacc in a lab would strengthen your application tremendously. I would suggest going outside the box a little. Look into becoming an EMT, teaching, volunteering either overseas or in a program like City Year, work for a non-profit organization or just volunteer in a hospital while working a normal desk job. You can get as creative as you want to be.

Hope this helps a little! Good Luck!:)

So you guys really don't think that people could just have issues with a standarized test such as the MCAT? I know it's hard to believe for all you people who get your dream score on the first shot, but there are people out there who struggle with test taking, no matter whether or not they go to an ivy. I took the test three times within a three year period and was unable to get a decent score until the third time, yet I did very well in all of my pre-req classes at a university known to have a challenging science curriculum. Maybe a low score in VR is indicative of comprehension issues, but maybe the OP, and myself included, just suffers from test anxiety or something else that interferes with the ability to succeed on a standarized test.

So you guys really don't think that people could just have issues with a standarized test such as the MCAT?

yeah but disparity in the op's case is highly unusual. i can see a 3.8 person study super hard and get a ~26 because english is not his first language...that is someone who isn't good at taking standardized tests...but 22, 6 verbal, and then only 8s for the other two sections? an 8 average for both biology and physics sections when you're a 3.8 gpa? i don't get it. something is amiss and the op needs to find out what.

It's not a myth, though I don't deny that Ivy kids aren't good. Just because you know "quite a few" at an Ivy that are so good doesn't say anything... There have actually been studies demonstrating the presence of grade inflation an Ivy schools, with some Ivys worse than others.

fair enough

It's possible. Maybe the OP is one of those people who got in with the help of prep schools which are only interested in increasing your high school GPA and SAT scores for the purpose of getting into an Ivy. In other words, the OP shouldn't have deserved to be at an Ivy in the first place.

Actually, the OP smells like a troll who wants to give Ivys a bad name, considering it's his first post... Also, it's hard to be that dumb if you went to an Ivy AND scored 3.8 cGPA and sGPA, even if what I just said above is true.

To be fair, I hate when people constantly rag on the Ivies for grade inflation. About 60% of my friends who went to my state school for undergrad got 4.0's putting in way less work than I did in college. Public school isn't always without grade inflation as well. Plus, you're more often competing with at least a bigger subset of people who only smoke pot and drink all the time with no care for their GPA.

Just a fun, silly (and not entirely serious) observation :)

Hear ye, hear ye. I am a real person going through this real scenario. Just because this was my one and only post does not mean that I am a "troll" haha. and I like lil wayne with regards to my username, so what.

Anyways, though, thanks for the advice everyone who was serious in helping me above and if anyone has any other (serious, non-demeaning) advice, go for it!

Tough situation. Seems like the MCAT score isn't going to change. Take the extra year, make connections at the medical schools you are interested in, apply to a broader range of schools. Ultimately you might have to have someone (faculty, medical student, other) send an extra letter on your behalf to some of these schools.