Advice Needed. What are my chances? 3.3 cGPA 3.3 sGPA, no MCAT yet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinktiger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to start my second semester as a sophmore at University of Texas at Austin (woo go longhorns!). My first semester of college I slipped up and got a C in calculus. My gpa was a 2.6. Since then my grades have improved. Second semester freshman year I got a 3.5 and first semester of sophomore year I got a 3.6. I am planning on taking the MCAT either this September or winter because I have taken all the pre-requisites. Basically, do I still have a shot?

In terms of extra credit, I am starting my own organization at UT. I have shadowed physicians (neurosurgeon and a radiologist). I am starting research this semester and I am in different organizations.
Thanks in advance for your input! :)

Members don't see this ad.

you do but to be competitive you need to basically get all As. You also need to do well on the MCAT. Make sure you keep your grades up. 4.0 is basically what you need. if you can do that, and get a 32+ on the MCAT you should be fairly decent.

If you don't get near-straight As, you may need to wait until after senior year to apply, so that your recovering GPA is competitive. You might even need a fifth year of college or a postbac depending on how things go. But with straight As for the next three semesters (I'm assuming you've completed three semesters already and will take the same courseload), your cGPA would be about 3.65, which is competitive. To further illustrate: With a 3.7 for the next three semesters, you'd end up with a 3.5. With a 3.6, you'd only get to 3.45.