Advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ola2331

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went through a bit of a rough time where I got diagnosed with some medical problems. My GPA is a 2.95 with upward potential of only around a 3.05. I have quite a few dropped classes from my a bad semester that I had to resign from. I was wondering if the MCAT can save me or if my doctor ambitions have went up in flames. I'm a decent test taker and the grades mostly are due to the medical issue and not overall intelligence. Will doing well on the MCAT be enough?

Members don't see this ad.

When do you plan to apply? What is your sGPA? How are your ECs? How is your health now? Is your health issue stable?
A great MCAT can help sometimes but your GPA is so low you might not make it through the auto screens. You have to get it up as high as you can-3.3+ if possible. Otherwise you'll need a post bacc or a SMP to prove to ADCOMS you can handle the rigors of Med school.

I went through a bit of a rough time where I got diagnosed with some medical problems. My GPA is a 2.95 with upward potential of only around a 3.05. I have quite a few dropped classes from my a bad semester that I had to resign from. I was wondering if the MCAT can save me or if my doctor ambitions have went up in flames. I'm a decent test taker and the grades mostly are due to the medical issue and not overall intelligence. Will doing well on the MCAT be enough?
The MCAT isn't going to save you. You need to prove that you can handle med school. Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Thank you for the posts. I thought it might be a little too far on the low end. My sGPA is a 3.0. Everything is more or less stable I thought I might have to do some post bacc work I'm just worried I'll put in another year or two and end up with nothing to show for it. Again thanks for your responses.