Advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

discuss

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I completed my FP residency and doing a MBA now. I am not sure what opportunities are available for me. How do I gain experience while I am in my MBA.

Members don't see this ad.

discuss said:
I completed my FP residency and doing a MBA now. I am not sure what opportunities are available for me. How do I gain experience while I am in my MBA.

Are you in a part-time program (and still working as an FP) or in school full-time? I found that as a full-time MBA student, I would have had a hard time with an actual job, even a part-time one (although several of my classmates attempted to keep running thier own business while in school).

If you think you have the time to work while in school, then the type of experience you want will depend on your long-term goal with the MBA degree. Do you plan on leaving clinical practice for good? Are you switching careers to finance, banking, consulting, private industry? Very few of these careers offer a part-time opportunity to people with little experience, so you have to find a related work experience that will be flexible. For example, all major universities have a business development office where patents are managed and business ideas/plans are fleshed out. You won't get paid a lot, but you would be exposed to lots of interesting ideas and people spending some time in there. In addition, most business schools partcipate in many business plan compititions. consulting case competitions, etc, where a team of students competes with teams from other schools for prizes (usually cash). These can be worthwhile experiences and may help to pad your resume and make you some cash as well.

Finally, your school should have a career advisor, and they will know your schools resources and opportunities very well. Meet with them, let them know that you would like to get some business experiences while in school and they may have some more targeted advice. Also, don't stress that you don't have years and years of business experience (like many of your classmates do), it is very common for docs to be in B-school with fewer years of this type of experience (don't underestimate how valuable your medical training is and how helpful it will be).

Good luck!