Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonathon

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I took a Botany course this past semester and as part of the course we had to do a small research project. So the where two lab mates (one is a pre-med wanabee....I did my own research project for many reasons) did a research project together. When the professor had us start the research project, we had 10 weeks to do the project.

All groups in the class, with the exception of this one group, got started on their research project within the next week. So a few weeks go by and the groups were collecting data and we had to put together a rough draft research paper (with intro, methods, etc.) and this one group in the class I know had not even set their experiment up yet and submitted their paper with not having any data (I know this for a fact...the one lab mate asked me what she should do for the rough draft since they had not even started the project). So with two weeks to go in the course, with all groups in the class done collecting data with the exception of this one group had just set their experiment up, we had to put together a final paper and a powerpoint. So the day of the powerpoint presentation, this group that had just started their experiment with two weeks to go in the course was having their professor help them finalize the data they collected (they weighed petals for crying out loud) the day of the powerpoint presentation. So when it came time to for use students to grade the powerpoint presentations, I gave them a 30 out of 50 because I know they didn't put any effort into the research project and their presentation was crappy.

So today I was searching Facebook and I was amazed that the pre-med wanabee is sending messages to her friends calling me a jackass and a jerk for me giving her such a low grade. So this chick that is calling me a jackass will be in two classes with me again this spring semester.

So the question I have is, how should I respond, if I should respond at all, if she tries to confront me about giving her such a low grade for the research project?

I was thinking of just saying the truth for the real reason why I gave her such a bad score. I would say "start your experiment on time next time." That is all I would say.

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to start off by saying Facebook is the devil. But seriously, if the person didn't have the gall to tell you to your face then I would not even respond to it. They proved how mature they were when they procrastinated. Just take this as a second opinion.

I would like to start off by saying Facebook is the devil. But seriously, if the person didn't have the gall to tell you to your face then I would not even respond to it. They proved how mature they were when they procrastinated. Just take this as a second opinion.

I agree don't respond.

Don't respond at all. If they did a crappy job and they are actually pissed that they got a bad review, screw em. If you gave them the grade you felt they deserved, there is nothing more for you to do.

And if anyone comes up to you in those two classes and says something about it, you can give them a piece of your mind. Then you say "hey you did a crappy job and you got what you deserved." If she does have the audacity to say something to you, make sure you call her out on her bullsh*t loudly and properly.

Anecdotally, pre-med wannabees who slack off, copy other ppl's homework, use their looks to get what they want, etc usually end up screwing themselves over. There is no way around hard work. It may piss you off, but there's not much that can be done about it. I just ended up being a little too happy that this one girl i knew didn't get into med school. :smuggrin:

But anything on facebook is just going to 1. turn ugly with name calling (it already has) and 2. not actually accomplish anything or prove your point.

hope this helps!