Transformers

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2007
Status
Hey guys,

After a bad performance on the July MCAT, I am scheduled to retake the Aug MCAT. It was primarily a bad performance (sub-10 that raises red flags) on verbal that crushed me...now im not sure how much I have improved in a month, but I am definitely considering a back-up plan which goes like this:

1.) everything non-mcat wise, my stats are pretty solid - 3.98 gpa, top 20, 3.5 years research w/poster, tons of community service both clinical and non-med, student gov't, etc....

2.) So its just a bit discouraging and I think it goes both ways for people (i.e.- people who did really well in u-grad but got a poor mcat score and is just disappointed about the 4 years of work put into undergrad not paying its full dividends because of a subpar mcat score) + there are those who killed the mcat but might be upset about their gpa...

I am in that first boat...At the moment, I sent all my primaries, have all my reccs in, everythings glowing and set...but I am in a tough bind. And correct me if I am making a mistake with this strategy. I am going to take the Aug 14th MCAT but if theres any indication of a poor performance ahead (skipped a verbal passage, tough bio passages), i feel that I may just void in that instance on aug 14th and just call it a summer and apply next year. The reason is that since 3s the limit for the mcat scores... so I would rather give myself this year as the room for improvement in my verbal skills (long-term methods) and then confidently take the mcat next year, while ALSO giving myself 2 Chances next year instead of 1. That is, I dont wanna do poorly on the Aug 14th MCAT, walk out, get a bad score, not apply to med school, and think to myself that its do or die the next time I take the mcat in the summer of 2010 since taking the mcat more than 3 times is ridiculous and raises red flags. I agree that even 2 is the limit for some schools. Tell me what you guys think of this approach.

Thanks.

Omni

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2007
Michigan
Status
Pre-Medical
What the hell is the point of making threads like this?

OP
Transformers

Transformers

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2007
Status
guys im really sorry about the comment, i sincerely apologized after that...ive definitely done my best to contribute and help people with advice...i.e.- my thread regarding strong encouragement of using the BR Berkeley bio books...but id really your advice on this one.

unDRdog

10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2008
Texas/ Arkansas
Status
Pre-Medical
guys im really sorry about the comment, i sincerely apologized after that...ive definitely done my best to contribute and help people with advice...i.e.- my thread regarding strong encouragement of using the BR Berkeley bio books...but id really your advice on this one.
bro ( i assume) i/we just dont understand why you would even ask such a question if you truly are holding a 40 in your pocket...makes no sense...

bruceleehiiiyaa

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2008
Status
bro ( i assume) i/we just dont understand why you would even ask such a question if you truly are holding a 40 in your pocket...makes no sense...
he/she doesnt have a 40. he posted that he had a 40 (falsely) on the day that the 6/18 scores were supposed to come out, while everyone was waiting for their legit scores to be posted.

OP
Transformers

Transformers

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2007
Status
Oh Ok, guys, i see where the confusion was...the comment about me getting a 40 was on a thread for the june 18th mcat score board where people were anxiously waiting to get their scores back but a few people, including myself, just started suprising people by saying SCORES are in...and thus the explanation for writing down a 40 on that thread...i was acually a july 2nd testtaker and thats why im posting about my actualy score (30...12, 12, 6v) so thats my concern at this moment. Im just worried because I doubt 1 month is a significant amount of time to improve verbal scores.

bruceleehiiiyaa

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2008
Status
Oh Ok, guys, i see where the confusion was...the comment about me getting a 40 was on a thread for the june 18th mcat score board where people were anxiously waiting to get their scores back but a few people, including myself, just started suprising people by saying SCORES are in...and thus the explanation for writing down a 40 on that thread...i was acually a july 2nd testtaker and thats why im posting about my actualy score (30...12, 12, 6v) so thats my concern at this moment. Im just worried because I doubt 1 month is a significant amount of time to improve verbal scores.

you were the only one that falsely posted!!!