Advice of dropping a class....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MidnightOil

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a very high chance that I could come out of this class with a D. Actually its a pretty sure thing. I have a 3.4 GPA and I don't want to drag it down any further.

My class load is really intense this semester with Organic 2 and Physics 2, and a hard Spanish teacher. All of these classes have labs... and I'm only getting credit for the Organic one. So if I drop the course I will fall slightly below full time. Is that going to look bad on my resume?

Members don't see this ad.

From my experience, I wish I had dropped more of my classes. I'm not sure how bad the not having a full course load looks on ure resume, but it sure looks better than having a D. I wish I had dropped some classes I knew I was going to bomb. Just don't make it a habit.

Your going to have to retake it anyway and pay the money, if you are going to apply to optometry school so might as well not damage the GPA.

You've got nothing to worry about, especially with your GPA. I had some flukes myself , repeated one course after receiving an (F!) and then got a B the second time around. Withdrew from one. I was accepted. As long as you don't make a habit and learned something from why you withdrew or repeated then I'd say you have nothing to worry about. We've all had mishaps :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go ahead and withdraw. If you do make that grade, you will have to retake it. I know at my school a C- or lower is a failing grade, even if it is ok with some of the opto schools.

I'm not sure how bad the not having a full course load looks on ure resume, but it sure looks better than having a D

exactly. I waited too long one semester, couldn't drop it (calc 2), and got an F. Repeated and got a B, but now i have to live with an F on my official transcripts. I just got into Opto school and they did not like seeing an F, even though i repeated and got a B. Withdrawal looks way better.:D

There is a very high chance that I could come out of this class with a D. Actually its a pretty sure thing. I have a 3.4 GPA and I don't want to drag it down any further.

My class load is really intense this semester with Organic 2 and Physics 2, and a hard Spanish teacher. All of these classes have labs... and I'm only getting credit for the Organic one. So if I drop the course I will fall slightly below full time. Is that going to look bad on my resume?

Do you take financial aid? Be careful, because sometimes you will not qualify for FA if you fall below "Full time" status.

If you have other withdrawals, I may reconsider withdrawing from this course. It's only 2 months into the semester, don't you still have 2 months left? Are you sure you can't bring it up? Why don't you talk to your counselor and ask what you should do. They've been around the block a few times, I'm sure, and might have a better solution that none of us have yet to come up with. And they will likely be more aware of things that you need to be careful of financial aid wise.

exactly. I waited too long one semester, couldn't drop it (calc 2), and got an F. Repeated and got a B, but now i have to live with an F on my official transcripts. I just got into Opto school and they did not like seeing an F, even though i repeated and got a B. Withdrawal looks way better.:D

You have to live with an F on your official transcript? Oh my God, the horror! How will you go on? :laugh:

You were admitted. Did the admissions committee specifically tell you that you should have dropped that class because they would have rather seen the W?

You have to live with an F on your official transcript? Oh my God, the horror! How will you go on? :laugh:

You were admitted. Did the admissions committee specifically tell you that you should have dropped that class because they would have rather seen the W?

i did have a W too and they didn't say anything about that...