Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Advice on a Misdemeanor

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by CardChamp06, Apr 18, 2007.

1. CardChamp06

Pre-Medical
    Recently I got a furnishing alcohol to a minor misdemeanor and I was wondering if this would seriously hurt my chances at getting in to med school. It has not gone through yet and I have an attorney who thinks that I have a good chance to win if it goes to court, but if it did stick how much of an impact would it have? I believe I can explain it on my application because it was somewhat of a misunderstanding and hopefully it will get reduced/dropped. I have no prior run ins with the law.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PistonsFan

Pre-Medical
    It wouldn't be that big of a deal. I know many people who have had "run-ins" with the law and have matriculated at some very good schools. As long as the charge/conviction is not a felony, then you should be fine. Most schools simply ask if you have had any previous felony convictions, although there are a few that ask if there are any charges pending or ask you to list all convictions (felony and/or misdemeanor). While I'm not in your situation, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Good luck though.

4. Disinence2

Disinence2 Emergency Medicine
    Physician

Attending Physician
    I hope you get off! That stuffs VERY difficult to prove.

Good luck

5. searun

Resident [Any Field]
    It is a negative. And in something as competitive as med school admission, any negative is, well, negative. Also furnishing alchohol to a minor is worse than getting popped for drinking yourself under the age of 21. Given what happened at Virginia Tech, I would recommend not having any criminal record, felonly or misdemeanor. No reason to make an Ad Com think you might be a head case.

6. somemaybedoc

Resident [Any Field]
    When things like this go down and the school does its background check, do they get back just a list of the charges and their dispositions or do they get back all that as well as written police statements containing all the embarassing details of what you did?

7. searun

Resident [Any Field]
    In general, background checks will just list the charges and the disposition in court. If the med school wants more information on a given conviction, that could be provided if requested.

8. Vanguard23

Medical Student
    hmm...since this came up, I do have a question:
    In 2005, I got a ticket for a moving violation(not using my blinker) and, to remove the ticket from my record, I asked the judge to be put on three month probation. Pending I didn't get a ticket in that time period, the ticket would be dropped.
    Is that at all worth mentioning?

9. twohearted

twohearted The whistle go . . .

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, but furnishing a minor with alcohol is not even remotely close to being a head case. Everyone that I personally know who is over 21 has furnished a minor with alcohol at one point in their life. It's easy to do while still in college. You are 21, you have some friends who are 20 or 19, whatever. You are going to a party or just having some drinks at your appt. You buy the booze because you are legal. Now that the OP got caught, that is just bad luck. I don't think this kind of misdemeanor shows any character flaws whatsoever, unless you are 30 and you bought for some minors that you don't know or worse. Then that's a little weird. But this guy probably bought for someone 1-2 yrs younger and a friend at that. But, yeah, any neg is a neg as you say. But when someone talks about a misdemeanor like this, you would have to be the biggest teetotaling prick to think anything remotely close to VTech.

10. Disinence2

Disinence2 Emergency Medicine
    Physician

Attending Physician

I still don't see how u get caught for this! Ive never known anyone who couldn't get off! Did you make a written agreement to buy alchohol? Were you part of a police sting? Is there a credit card reciept with your name on it saying u purchased the alchohol. Can't you just say, hey i didn't buy anything, somone else must have! How can they prove it?

11. Ghost

Ghost Senior Member

in texas you can do an alcohol awareness course/community service and keep it off your record. what about your sate? your lawyer hasn't said anything? you should talk to the da's office yourself and see what your options are.

12. CardChamp06

Pre-Medical
    I wasn't apart of a police sting, a friend was with me when I was buying alcohol who was under 21. I bought the alcohol, left with my friend, and we both started walking to my apartment which is about a block and a 1/2 away. He offered to help carry one of the cases and I agreed. Looking back on this I know this was stupid, but I had no intention of giving it to him and he never gave me any money. A cop saw us walk out of the store and after we were about a 1/2 block away from the store came up and asked for IDs. I think he thought that were were both under 21 and that I must have bought the beer with a fake. After calling in my id, he said he was giving me the violation. I told him that he was only carrying it for me, but gave it to me anyway saying that "there was no doubt in his mind that I was giving him the case of alcohol."

13. CardChamp06

Pre-Medical
    My lawyer and I are meeting with the prosecutor next week to try and work a deal. He said that he thinks it will be reduced and I might have to do some community service or take part in an alcohol awareness program. I just wanted to know if for some reason it did not get reduced, how much of a negative impact it would have when I apply this summer

14. Ghost

Ghost Senior Member

yeah, you def need to get this all cleaned up........cuz the judge and adcoms will see right through that one......it's better to just tell the truth than to feed them that one.........i mean, come on, a cop didn't even buy it......... :bullcrap: :laugh:

15. CardChamp06

Pre-Medical
    Well, that is what actually happened. I know it looks bad, but thats how it went down. But like I said, I am willing to do community service to get it cleared up or anything just so that it won't show up on my record.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. CardChamp06

Pre-Medical
    Also, the case that he was carrying was not the only one...I was also carrying alcohol.

18. Ghost

Ghost Senior Member

it doesn't look bad, your story just doesn't ring true. i'm not calling you a liar, but if that is the truth, then maybe you should become a liar. who cares, you bought beer and were gonna drink it with some underage friends.......who hasn't done that?

"gee wally, those 2 cases of beer sure look heavy. would you like me to carry one for you?"

"golly beav, that would be swell. but you know, you are underage, so when we get back to my apartment, you can't have any of this delicious alcohol. you will just have to sit there and watch me drink these two cases of beer all by my lonesome."

"aww shucks, wally. you're a stinker. hey look wally, a ******ed gorilla escaped from the zoo."

"oh, hello officer........."

19. CardChamp06

Pre-Medical
    lol...I know how it sounds...and if I am convicted I will prob have to say that I bought for him and say that I made a mistake...hopefully it won't get that far and won't even make it to court

20. Ghost

Ghost Senior Member

i'd be very surprised if it did. i wouldn't worry about it.

21. CardChamp06

Pre-Medical
    Also the ticket issued is for giving/buying a minor alcohol with the intention of him drinking it. When you're over the age of 18 you can transport alcohol in my state, which is why I thought it would be safe for him to carry one of the cases, especially if we're walking together. Neither of us were drunk and the officer didn't even give him a breathalizer.

22. Cirrus83

Cirrus83 Too old for this

Attending Physician
    Well I guess this varies depending on location but in some states you can bartend and deliver alcohol when you're under 21 (like, be a delivery boy for the local liquor store), so him carrying your alcohol wouldn't be a violation at all, and it'd be next to impossible for the prosecution to prove that you were providing him with the alcohol.

Of course if your state has different laws where people under 21 can't even transport the alcohol, then it'd probably be harder to fight.

Either way though, just fight it hard and worst case just explain it. I honestly doubt any med school will care, and it's not even vaguely close to being on the same level as a mass murder (seriously, who the hell can seriously compare a misdemeanor to mass murder...wtf?)

23. Ghost

Ghost Senior Member

to bartend or wait tables you usually need to be certified by the state. louisiana was the last state i knew of where an 18 year old could have alcohol as long as they weren't drinking it (makes sense) but i thought they changed that years ago so they could get their federal highway funds. that's what i heard when i was in highscool, but i'm not too sure on that one.

24. Cirrus83

Cirrus83 Too old for this

Attending Physician
    Hmm apparently they might need to certify you in some states but it's mostly just the same requirements as being a bartender. Most of those same states let waiters bring alcohol and I don't think they have to certify waiters (although, for what it's worth it seems more or less like a joke to get certified, at least in NY...you can just take a test online).

Either way though, at least in NY my friend was couriering liquor and he wasn't certified or over 21 or anything.

25. Ghost

Ghost Senior Member

i have done both, tended bar and waited tables, and you need certification to do both in texas from the tabc.