Advice on academic integrity violation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedgirl029931

Reaction score
**First time posting!

I got an AI violation for opening an exam book early my fall sophomore year in orgo 1. I had a AI hearing with the professor where I acknowledged my mistake and I know to never do it again. I wanted to hear an ADCOM's perspective on academic integrity violations. I posted on reddit as well but found most of the advice was "if it's not on your transcript, don't report it". I don't want to take the risk not reporting because that is covering dishonesty with more dishonesty but rather I want to find the best way for me to still pursue my passion of becoming a doctor.

My biggest question would also be, would it help to take a gap year? I was originally planning on applying straight through but will ADCOMs like to see even more time between this violation and applying?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
If you had a hearing, it's probably being kept internally on a record with the school. It might not show up on your transcripts, but when you matriculate schools will check to see if you have had any Institutional Action. You should double check with your school to see if it counts as an institutional action and if it does you should 100% report it.

So to clarify, what was the IA for? You opened a book during your test? Or you opened a book that had exams in it?

Reactions: 1 user
**First time posting!

I got an AI violation for opening an exam book early my fall sophomore year in orgo 1. I had a AI hearing with the professor where I acknowledged my mistake and I know to never do it again. I wanted to hear an ADCOM's perspective on academic integrity violations. I posted on reddit as well but found most of the advice was "if it's not on your transcript, don't report it". I don't want to take the risk not reporting because that is covering dishonesty with more dishonesty but rather I want to find the best way for me to still pursue my passion of becoming a doctor.

My biggest question would also be, would it help to take a gap year? I was originally planning on applying straight through but will ADCOMs like to see even more time between this violation and applying?

Thank you
I'm not an adcom, but I can tell you that adcoms love to see gap years for everyone, as evidenced by the fact that over 2/3 of applicants and matriculants have at least one. That said, what you described is surely one of the mildest versions of "cheating" that has been reported here. I don't think a gap year will make a difference one way or the other. It was over a year ago and you've learned your lesson.

In addition, while I'm not a huge reddit fan, they might be onto something here. If the "hearing" was just with you and the professor, that does not sound like a "hearing" at all, but more like a meeting. If so, you will want to check with your registrar's or dean's office to see whether or not there actually was any IA (as opposed to AI) taken against you.

If not, there is nothing to report. The meeting with the professor might have merely constituted an informal warning, which is not reportable, as opposed to formal Institutional Action, which would be reportable, even if it does not appear on your transcript.

Please do a little digging to figure out what this is before potentially creating an unnecessary issue for yourself. Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you had a hearing, it's probably being kept internally on a record with the school. It might not show up on your transcripts, but when you matriculate schools will check to see if you have had any Institutional Action. You should double check with your school to see if it counts as an institutional action and if it does you should 100% report it.

So to clarify, what was the IA for? You opened a book during your test? Or you opened a book that had exams in it?
HI! Thank you for the responses! I opened up the text booklet before the exam was supposed to begin and was reported by another student after the exam was over. I have a letter from my college and I believe it is an AI with an internal record that can be released to medical schools. Thanks for the insights!

I'm not an adcom, but I can tell you that adcoms love to see gap years for everyone, as evidenced by the fact that over 2/3 of applicants and matriculants have at least one. That said, what you described is surely one of the mildest versions of "cheating" that has been reported here. I don't think a gap year will make a difference one way or the other. It was over a year ago and you've learned your lesson.

In addition, while I'm not a huge reddit fan, they might be onto something here. If the "hearing" was just with you and the professor, that does not sound like a "hearing" at all, but more like a meeting. If so, you will want to check with your registrar's or dean's office to see whether or not there actually was any IA (as opposed to AI) taken against you.

If not, there is nothing to report. The meeting with the professor might have merely constituted an informal warning, which is not reportable, as opposed to formal Institutional Action, which would be reportable, even if it does not appear on your transcript.

Please do a little digging to figure out what this is before potentially creating an unnecessary issue for yourself. Good luck!!
Thank you! That is good to hear. Unfortunately, I think this is something I will need to discuss as a part of my application which is why I am trying to find more advice. Thanks again!

HI! Thank you for the responses! I opened up the text booklet before the exam was supposed to begin and was reported by another student after the exam was over. I have a letter from my college and I believe it is an AI with an internal record that can be released to medical schools. Thanks for the insights!
You’ll be fine in the end. When you report it don’t make any excuses. Just state what happened and why you shouldn’t have done it and then don’t ever discuss it again unless asked

I got an AI violation for opening an exam book early my fall sophomore year in orgo 1. I had a AI hearing with the professor where I acknowledged my mistake and I know to never do it again. I wanted to hear an ADCOM's perspective on academic integrity violations.
When you said you opened the exam book early, do you mean you opened it before everyone else received their exam? So, a one or two minute head start? If so, this is a nothing burger especially if it was an honest mistake.

Do double check if this constituted an institutional action. Being charged and having a trial (hearing) is very different than being found guilty (institutional actions such as a formal warning, academic probation, etc.).

But either way, this isn't a big deal. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 5 users
You got a letter from your institution, and I presume the hearing was facilitated. You should report it and be sure you get assistance from your student conduct administrators in writing about the germane facts of this situation and its resolution.

Reactions: 4 users