Advice on achieving my long-term goal of becoming a PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

italianlifter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title stats I am currently looking for some good advice for achieving my long term goal of becoming a PA. I am currently a 2 year Firefighter/EMT who is unhappy with his job of being a firefighter but I do have to give credit to the job cause without it I would of never realized how much I enjoy the medical side. Since I have been an EMT I have been throughly enjoying helping out patients and caring for them cause it may sound lame but it warms my heart to do these things and to see the patients smile after you just got done helping them. Now the reason I am on this forum asking my question is cause currently I am a 22 year old male turning 23 in November and I am trying to figure out what would be the best route in getting into PA school. Right now I am thinking that hopefully getting my associate degree in Nursing will land me a job in a hospital and while working in the hospital I can finish up my last years on getting my BSN through a hospital tuition assistant program. Now my question would be do you guys/gals believe achieving a degree in nursing would be a wise decision in getting into PA school or would I be wasting my time? What would be my best course of action into achieving my long term goal of becoming a PA? Thanks and I appreciate all the advice I receive.

Members don't see this ad.

Why not just do pre-reqs and apply straight to PA school?

This would be the quickest route. Why go through nursing if your main goal is to get into PA?

As the title stats I am currently looking for some good advice for achieving my long term goal of becoming a PA. I am currently a 2 year Firefighter/EMT who is unhappy with his job of being a firefighter but I do have to give credit to the job cause without it I would of never realized how much I enjoy the medical side. Since I have been an EMT I have been throughly enjoying helping out patients and caring for them cause it may sound lame but it warms my heart to do these things and to see the patients smile after you just got done helping them. Now the reason I am on this forum asking my question is cause currently I am a 22 year old male turning 23 in November and I am trying to figure out what would be the best route in getting into PA school. Right now I am thinking that hopefully getting my associate degree in Nursing will land me a job in a hospital and while working in the hospital I can finish up my last years on getting my BSN through a hospital tuition assistant program. Now my question would be do you guys/gals believe achieving a degree in nursing would be a wise decision in getting into PA school or would I be wasting my time? What would be my best course of action into achieving my long term goal of becoming a PA? Thanks and I appreciate all the advice I receive.
In my opinion, if you go through the trouble to get a BSN, you might as well go for nurse practitioner. If you want to do the PA route, just work on the prerequisites for PA school. If you can't work you EMS schedule around classes, pick up a job as a tech at the hospital. I feel you would waste a lot of time on nursing classes that would be of no benefit to your pursuit of being accepted into a PA program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not just do pre-reqs and apply straight to PA school?

This would be the quickest route. Why go through nursing if your main goal is to get into PA?

Thank you for responding to my post and its not that I want to go into nursing but I was always told that I need to have a bachelors degree in something that will help me get into PA school and I just thought nursing was the best route and the main issue is working at the fire department right now, I hate it and I want to get out as soon as possible before I become a PA cause waiting 6 years to finally leave would suck.

In my opinion, if you go through the trouble to get a BSN, you might as well go for nurse practitioner. If you want to do the PA route, just work on the prerequisites for PA school. If you can't work you EMS schedule around classes, pick up a job as a tech at the hospital. I feel you would waste a lot of time on nursing classes that would be of no benefit to your pursuit of being accepted into a PA program.

Thanks for replying to my post and no I don't believe I would like to become a NP due to the fact that you would need a doctorate now a days to even start practicing while PA only requires a master degree and I know I will enjoy PA more due to the fact that it is more modeled around medicine. Also working at the fire department would be an issue when I start PA school cause I have heard how hard it is and I'm not sure if it would be wise to stay full-time at the fire dept or to go part time. I was also told that I would need a bachelors degree to be accepted into PA school? Also am I right or wrong, but from what I heard all the Prerequisites for PA school can be different and range from school to school?

I understand where you're coming from. I've worked on an ambulance for over 11 years. I just feel like the time spent on nursing classes would be wasted if your ultimate goal is PA. Find a job off the dept. to get you through school. Take a degree course that more directly completes the required courses for the PA program, and don't waste time and money learning how to properly make beds. I'm not downing nursing at all, but those are things that will in no way benefit you in achieving your goal.

The pre
Thanks for replying to my post and no I don't believe I would like to become a NP due to the fact that you would need a doctorate now a days to even start practicing while PA only requires a master degree and I know I will enjoy PA more due to the fact that it is more modeled around medicine. Also working at the fire department would be an issue when I start PA school cause I have heard how hard it is and I'm not sure if it would be wise to stay full-time at the fire dept or to go part time. I was also told that I would need a bachelors degree to be accepted into PA school? Also am I right or wrong, but from what I heard all the Prerequisites for PA school can be different and range from school to school?
The prerequisites vary a little, but not that much. NP is basically the same amount of school as PA, from what I understand, but requires all the nursing classes up front. You won't have time to work during PA school. My friend, who is now a PA, worked a weekend shift occasionally, but only to maintain his certification. As far as I know, you will need a degree, but there are better options than nursing.

I understand where you're coming from. I've worked on an ambulance for over 11 years. I just feel like the time spent on nursing classes would be wasted if your ultimate goal is PA. Find a job off the dept. to get you through school. Take a degree course that more directly completes the required courses for the PA program, and don't waste time and money learning how to properly make beds. I'm not downing nursing at all, but those are things that will in no way benefit you in achieving your goal.

Appreciate you replying back so quick and do you know how I can find what the global prerequisites are that are required for aLloyd PA schools? Also I understand that a bachelors degree is required to get into PA school.. so what would you recommend taking in college for a bachelors? See this is my dilemma... I'm struggling to find the right route without making a bad descsion... I hope I don't sound like a lame cry baby cause those are not my intentions. I really do appreciate your advice.

The pre

The prerequisites vary a little, but not that much. NP is basically the same amount of school as PA, from what I understand, but requires all the nursing classes up front. You won't have time to work during PA school. My friend, who is now a PA, worked a weekend shift occasionally, but only to maintain his certification. As far as I know, you will need a degree, but there are better options than nursing.

Thats another issue friend, my dad is forcing me to keep my job at the fire department while going to school to be a PA. I have no idea how that is even going to be possible.

Appreciate you replying back so quick and do you know how I can find what the global prerequisites are that are required for aLloyd PA schools? Also I understand that a bachelors degree is required to get into PA school.. so what would you recommend taking in college for a bachelors? See this is my dilemma... I'm struggling to find the right route without making a bad descsion... I hope I don't sound like a lame cry baby cause those are not my intentions. I really do appreciate your advice.
I would look into the schools you're interested in and see what they require. The closest school to me required Gen Chem I and II, either orgo I or biochem, A&P I and II, microbiology, college algebra, gen psych, one advanced psych class, and an upper level bio class. Something like a Bachelor of Arts in bio or Chem would be a good route to take, in my opinion. With a few extra classes, most likely included in the degrees, you could even take the MCAT and shoot for medical school. If that's not in your plans, you would just take the GRE.

I would look into the schools you're interested in and see what they require. The closest school to me required Gen Chem I and II, either orgo I or biochem, A&P I and II, microbiology, college algebra, gen psych, one advanced psych class, and an upper level bio class. Something like a Bachelor of Arts in bio or Chem would be a good route to take, in my opinion. With a few extra classes, most likely included in the degrees, you could even take the MCAT and shoot for medical school. If that's not in your plans, you would just take the GRE.
How old are you?

Okay I will look into some PA schools around my state and see what they require. Hopefully they are all fairly similar so when I go to apply I can apply to more then one.

How old are you?

22 and yes I know what you are you going to say, your old enough to make ur own decisions but what bothers me the most is to see my dad get so pissed off. I just hate that feeling.

Members don't see this ad :)
22 and yes I know what you are you going to say, your old enough to make ur own decisions but what bothers me the most is to see my dad get so pissed off. I just hate that feeling.
No, I'm not going to say that. I'm 32 years old, have 3 boys of my own, and still respect what my dad has to say and would much rather stay on his good side. What I will say, though, is PA school is at least 4 years down the road. I'm willing to bet that if you bust your ass in your undergrad, and show him just how serious you are, he will understand that you won't be able to continue at the dept during grad school. He just knows that you have a secure job with retirement now and doesn't want to see you mess that up and have nothing to show for it. Prove to him that you're going to do whatever it takes to succeed and I'm willing to bet he will give you his full support.

Reactions: 1 user
BTW, in looking at your name on here, are you a weightlifter?

No, I'm not going to say that. I'm 32 years old, have 3 boys of my own, and still respect what my dad has to say and would much rather stay on his good side. What I will say, though, is PA school is at least 4 years down the road. I'm willing to bet that if you bust your ass in your undergrad, and show him just how serious you are, he will understand that you won't be able to continue at the dept during grad school. He just knows that you have a secure job with retirement now and doesn't want to see you mess that up and have nothing to show for it. Prove to him that you're going to do whatever it takes to succeed and I'm willing to bet he will give you his full support.

Hey man I really appreciate that response cause a lot of people would of done the exact opposite and started to think I was some loser who let his dad control now but moving on from that.. See my main issue with the whole PA, NP or CRNA route is now truly knowing which one I want and which one I feel will be the best choice for me and I understand the only person who will be able to make that decision for me is me. You know the PA route sound great and the quickest out of all them but getting into PA school is what worries me cause I'm not trying to sound rude by any means when I say this, PA school just seems like a matter of a what if... The NP also sounds like a good career but the only thing that concerns me with that is just recently more places have been requiring a doctorate to work as a NP rather then a masters and I do not want to be in school that long honestly and I hope I do not sound lazy by that. The CRNA sounds like a good career but I wouldn't say it is at the top of my choices even though it will most likely be the quickest route out of all three.

BTW, in looking at your name on here, are you a weightlifter?

Funny you mention that cause a lot of people ask me this especially on the medical forms. I wouldn't consider myself a bodybuilder by any means but yes I am a weightlifter and fitness is a huge hobby of mine. I love nutrition and I love fitness with all my heart but I don't see me going to school for it cause of the main reasons of it not being a good career choice in todays world and the only reason why I keep my name as italianlifter is cause I have used this name for almost everything and its the easiest to remember lol.

Funny you mention that cause a lot of people ask me this especially on the medical forms. I wouldn't consider myself a bodybuilder by any means but yes I am a weightlifter and fitness is a huge hobby of mine. I love nutrition and I love fitness with all my heart but I don't see me going to school for it cause of the main reasons of it not being a good career choice in todays world and the only reason why I keep my name as italianlifter is cause I have used this name for almost everything and its the easiest to remember lol.
Gotcha. I'm a competitive powerlifter and working towards a BB show next year. If you're undecided at this point, it's not a huge ordeal. Start taking your basics. Knock out Gen Chem, Bio, psychology, etc. I the meantime, research more into your options. If you're motivated enough to pull a 4.0 or high 3., then you shouldn't have trouble getting into a PA program if that's the route you decide to take. If you decide to go nursing, you're going to need the basics anyway. CRNA isn't a bad gig. I have 2 good friends who do it, and they both really enjoy it and are well compensated. My best advice would be to just go ahead and get going on your basics, and put in the effort to maintain good grades. That will help you tremendously, regardless of which route you ultimately choose.

Gotcha. I'm a competitive powerlifter and working towards a BB show next year. If you're undecided at this point, it's not a huge ordeal. Start taking your basics. Knock out Gen Chem, Bio, psychology, etc. I the meantime, research more into your options. If you're motivated enough to pull a 4.0 or high 3., then you shouldn't have trouble getting into a PA program if that's the route you decide to take. If you decide to go nursing, you're going to need the basics anyway. CRNA isn't a bad gig. I have 2 good friends who do it, and they both really enjoy it and are well compensated. My best advice would be to just go ahead and get going on your basics, and put in the effort to maintain good grades. That will help you tremendously, regardless of which route you ultimately choose.

Its cool meeting someone else who is truly into fitness like that cause so I am. I mean like I'm not sure I would ever do a show lol but I do love the whole aspect of it without a doubt. I do wish you luck in your competition bud =D. I will defiantly look into taking my basics this upcoming October but the only thing that is on my mind is making the wrong mistake by taking the prerequisites without knowing what I wanna do cause wouldn't i just be wasting my time and by wasting my time every graduate program requires different perquisites so if i do choose something that requires different prerequisites then I would of wasted me time. Am i wrong? As you can tell I'm fairly uneducated when it comes to college system. I appreciate you being very patient with me friend.

Its cool meeting someone else who is truly into fitness like that cause so I am. I mean like I'm not sure I would ever do a show lol but I do love the whole aspect of it without a doubt. I do wish you luck in your competition bud =D. I will defiantly look into taking my basics this upcoming October but the only thing that is on my mind is making the wrong mistake by taking the prerequisites without knowing what I wanna do cause wouldn't i just be wasting my time and by wasting my time every graduate program requires different perquisites so if i do choose something that requires different prerequisites then I would of wasted me time. Am i wrong? As you can tell I'm fairly uneducated when it comes to college system. I appreciate you being very patient with me friend.
Most any upper level program will require Gen Chem I and II, basic biology, psychology, organic Chem, and other basic sciences. Most any degree will also require English Comp, history, college algebra, and fine arts. These would be a good place to start while deciding what you want to do. I don't know what schools are available in your area, but one option would be to complete an associates degree at a community college, and to take as many of the classes that you need for you higher degree while your there. This will save you some money while you take care of the basics. I took that route, and it has worked well for me.

Most any upper level program will require Gen Chem I and II, basic biology, psychology, organic Chem, and other basic sciences. Most any degree will also require English Comp, history, college algebra, and fine arts. These would be a good place to start while deciding what you want to do. I don't know what schools are available in your area, but one option would be to complete an associates degree at a community college, and to take as many of the classes that you need for you higher degree while your there. This will save you some money while you take care of the basics. I took that route, and it has worked well for me.

What associates degree would you recommend doing? Does it really matter while choosing a field in the medical field?

What associates degree would you recommend doing? Does it really matter while choosing a field in the medical field?
I just did an Associate of Arts transfer degree and took as many of the classes that would apply to premed that I could. Chems, A&P, psych, dev psych, college algebra, English comp, just whatever they offer that you can get out of the way.

I just did an Associate of Arts transfer degree and took as many of the classes that would apply to premed that I could. Chems, A&P, psych, dev psych, college algebra, English comp, just whatever they offer that you can get out of the way.

Okay, I will look into it. Thanks friend

Here's what you do:

1. Enroll in a bachelor of science program at a local university (biology, chemistry, biochemistry, whatever)

2. Complete all the required pre-requisite courses (PA programs have a list on their websites)

4. Continue to work EMS part time if possible (extra money and clinical experience)

Here's what you do:

1. Enroll in a bachelor of science program at a local university (biology, chemistry, biochemistry, whatever)

2. Complete all the required pre-requisite courses (PA programs have a list on their websites)

4. Continue to work EMS part time if possible (extra money and clinical experience)

Thanks for replying back to my post. I am currently looking into a bachelors program of either biology or exercises science.

Do biology. Will cover all your pre-reqs. Some PA schools will not consider Kinesiology courses as pre-reqs.

Thank your Sir, planning on enrolling for the bachelor degree in the biology course this upcoming semester tomorrow.

Working experience for PA is oversold. Top-tier requires it, but I'm not sure that top tier versus mid tier is going to make a difference in your career.

A&P is almost universal though.

Hey friend I thought I would ask you if you believe becoming a PA is worth the hassle cause I am boy quite sure how comfortable I feel working under a physician or doctor and I have heard rumors of PA's not being respected aND I really don't want to have to deal with that. I want to go I to the medical field but not sure which route I wanna take.