Advice on appeal letters!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Patiently Waiting

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am seeking some serious advices on how I should go about sending out appeal letters to schools. Should I send them out to the dean of the SOM or simply to the committee? My second Q: I know some of you have already asked this before, but what do you think I should include in my appeal letters? I am thinking about updating my activity (not much to add other than updating some of my research work...kind of sad since I've been out of school for several years so can't add any more class grades or anything), re-emphasizing my strong points that may have been overlooked (like...I'm motivated, work hard..., but then again, do they really want to hear this?), and finally end the letter by saying "please do reconsider my appl...". Sounds a bit cheesy, weak??? I really want to write effective, quite persuasive letters (without any tone of whining and desperation) because there're some schools that are my top choices and that I thought I had a fair chance of at least getting interviews...but haven't got any, at least not from these folks. HELP!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the school. Call the school and ask and they will tell you their policy on appeals, who to send it to, etc.

If you know that people have already asked these questions before...then do a search! The information is just a few keystrokes away.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't recommend updating activities unless they are major, like an award or publication. Look, just be polite about it, tell them you will understand if they deny your request, that you would definitely come to this school if you were accepted. Thank them for taking the time. You really have nothing to lose, but only write an appeal letter if this is the school you really want to go to, otherwise it's not just ethical.

Originally posted by UCLA2000:
•If you know that people have already asked these questions before...then do a search! The information is just a few keystrokes away.•••
I don't want to take your response personally, but I have to let you know: it's not that I was lazy about searching, but I believe my questions were specific enough to receive people's feedback on the sound of "my" appeal. I wasn't asking for the generic comments. Also, if you weren't going about to supply me with other advices, you didn't need to post this type of comment... When I called a couple of schools of my interest, all I've got from them was to write a petition letter to them... Since some of you have been through the successful appeals, I wanted to receive comments specifically from these people so that if I would go about writing it, I would do it right.

"I don't want to take your response personally"..then don't because it wasn't personal.

"Also, if you weren't going about to supply me with other advices, you didn't need to post this type of comment"...I supplied you with great advice....DO A SEARCH!

You need to realize that the same questions constantly pop up OVER and OVER again. Most people aren't going to waste their time retyping the same message that they've typed 100 times, s by doing a search you may come across valuable information that you otherwise would have missed. As I said before....WHY REINVENT THE WHEEL?

Yes of course YOU think that YOUR question about YOUR appeal is different than all the others that have been asked. Try doing a search...the same questions have been asked 100 times.

I sure hope that clears things up.

If some of these schools are your top choice med schools, then I'd definitely let them know in your appeal letter that "your school has been without doubt one of my top choices." Then, cite all the reasons why you love that school so much. Good luck!

I see why my posting upsetted UCLA2000...I just found Scooby's...I thought I saw it somewhere. :oops: I will look into Scooby's posting and draw up as much info as possible out of that. If I still have more Qs, I will bug you folks then. For those of you who did provide me with your feedback, ;) .