Advice on Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robertd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I would appreciate some opinions.

Back in 2003, I was immigrant to Canada with no idea of GPA system or anything. I did one year of pharmacy technician. I had financial problem and health problem; I had to work. Being an immigrant, I was ignorant on the education system; I left my college without actually dropping the courses. Obviously, my GPA was below 2.00 and got academic suspension. Long story, I got 3F, 2D+, couple of Bs and Cs (45 credits).
This was not me at all.

Now, I have finished B.Sc. Biology with cGPA 3.78 and sGPA 3.79. I have some good activities as well. I was planning to get into good US medical schools, but now I am not sure anymore.

I know med schools do consider the circumstances, but how far they will understand (including with academic suspension)? Will I be able to get into top 25 US med schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I would appreciate some opinions.

Back in 2003, I was immigrant to Canada with no idea of GPA system or anything. I did one year of pharmacy technician. I had financial problem and health problem; I had to work. Being an immigrant, I was ignorant on the education system; I left my college without actually dropping the courses. Obviously, my GPA was below 2.00 and got academic suspension. Long story, I got 3F, 2D+, couple of Bs and Cs (45 credits).
This was not me at all.

Now, I have finished B.Sc. Biology with cGPA 3.78 and sGPA 3.79. I have some good activities as well. I was planning to get into good US medical schools, but now I am not sure anymore.

I know med schools do consider the circumstances, but how far they will understand (including with academic suspension)? Will I be able to get into top 25 US med schools?

You clearly have not factored ur 3Fs and 2Ds into ur gpa calculation. If they are college credits, be rest assured that med schools will count them towards ur gpa. You need to factor them in to see your true academic picture and maybe then you'll be more concerning about getting in somewhere as opposed to a top 25.

If you had a solid uptrend after that one year, that will clearly show schools that those grades are aberrant and they'll discount them. It's good to explain your circumstances, BRIEFLY, somewhere in your application like PS so that schools can review ur gpa in the proper light.

How's ur MCAT?

You clearly have not factored ur 3Fs and 2Ds into ur gpa calculation. If they are college credits, be rest assured that med schools will count them towards ur gpa. You need to factor them in to see your true academic picture and maybe then you'll be more concerning about getting in somewhere as opposed to a top 25.

If you had a solid uptrend after that one year, that will clearly show schools that those grades are aberrant and they'll discount them. It's good to explain your circumstances, BRIEFLY, somewhere in your application like PS so that schools can review ur gpa in the proper light.

How's ur MCAT?

All included it comes upto
Overall: 3.5
Science: 3.6
Others: 3.3

I have MCAT this June 16.

It is so tempting not to submit this transcript.