Advice on coping with neuropsych internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suzypep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Once you have the instructions memorized, can you ask to schedule a test-out session with your supervisor? Maybe use one of your supervision sessions for this?

Reactions: 2 users
If you can, ask to practice with a cohort-mate. Unfortunately, this is pretty common. We've often gotten students who appear to have a good amount of testing experience, but when we get them in the room with the testing materials, it's clear that they were done a great disservice by the people that trained them. I've had students that were never allowed to test independently, and could not give certain tests before due to inability to administer adequately. It sucks, but it happens.

As for your situation, OP, I'd ask about a training plan, with concrete anchors. What does "success" in certain areas look like? Can they define what it would take for you to be able to test patients? You need to know what the explicit bars are so you know how to clear them.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both - I'm so glad I made this post. Concrete anchors are likely to make me feel better about this whole thing, as right now I just feel... a bit hopeless, to be honest.

I hope, WisNeuro, that I am able to test independently eventually.

Have a wonderful night, everyone.

I would agree with everything said and recommended above. In my experience, it's not unusual for internship sites to be stricter than many graduate programs when it comes to fidelity of test administration, and thereby requirements to test out for independent administration. Internship supervisors can also be a bit more risk-averse in this area than are some/many grad school supervisors. This can then feel like you're taking a step backward. The internship site has just likely seen variable proficiencies in terms of trainee's testing experience and abilities, even in those with hundreds of hours of testing, and may have been "burned" by this in the past. I certainly wouldn't take it personally, and I think the suggestion to ask for a definition of "success" and concrete anchors is a good one.

Personally, I don't think a trainee needs to have every script of every test memorized verbatim; I don't, and I wouldn't expect that of a trainee. But for those tests they don't have memorized, they do need to be able to use the manual/testing materials to administer the test fluidly and, afterward, to score it correctly.

Reactions: 5 users