Sep 1, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Texas Resident (ORM) - Will be applying to all TMDSAS Schools
cGPA: 3.78
sGPA: 3.76
MCAT: 510

Several hundred hours of non-clinical volunteering and research (poster + 3rd author pub)
More than a thousand hours of clinical experience in the ICU
Moderate shadowing and leadership experiences

I know Texas residents tend to be ignored by OOS schools, however, I should qualify for FAP and would like to take advantage of the free 20 schools I can apply to.

1. Baylor
2. TCU and UNTHSC SOM
3. Georgetown
4. Tulane
5. NOVA
6. Quinnipiac
7. Medical College of Wisconsin
8. Oakland Beaumont
9. Penn State University COM
10. University of Arizona COM
11. Wayne State SOM
12. Geisel SOM at Dartmouth
13. University of Colorado SOM
14. Loyola (edit: added)
15. Rosalind (edit: added)
16. Creighton (edit: added)
17. SLU (edit: added)

Removed: University of Washington

I used the MSAR where for the most part OOS acceptances were 40% or higher (except for University of Arizona...maybe I should remove but it was at 20%). In addition, most of the schools on this list have an average MCAT between 508 - 513 and a GPA of 3.6 - 3.8 (except Baylor and Dartmouth)

Any suggestions (I need 3 more)? How does the current list look?

Last edited:

candbgirl

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
University of Washington accepts almost no OOS students except those from neighboring states who they hold seats for.
if you are insistent on applying OOS look at private schools with no IS/OOS Issues. You could add SLU. Loyola, Creighton, Rosalind Franklin, etc.

Reactions: 1 users

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Texas Resident (ORM) - Will be applying to all TMDSAS Schools
cGPA: 3.78
sGPA: 3.76
MCAT: 510

Several hundred hours of non-clinical volunteering and research (poster + 3rd author pub)
More than a thousand hours of clinical experience in the ICU
Moderate shadowing and leadership experiences

I know Texas residents tend to be ignored by OOS schools, however, I should qualify for FAP and would like to take advantage of the free 20 schools I can apply to.

- Baylor
- TCU and UNTHSC SOM
- Georgetown
- Tulane
- NOVA
- Quinnipiac
- Medical College of Wisconsin
- Oakland Beaumont
- Penn State University COM
- University of Arizona COM
- University of Washington SOM
- Wayne State SOM
- Geisel SOM at Dartmouth
- University of Colorado SOM
- ???
- ???
- ???
- ???
- ???
- ???

I used the MSAR where for the most part OOS acceptances were 40% or higher (except for University of Arizona...maybe I should remove but it was at 20%). In addition, most of the schools on this list have an average MCAT between 508 - 513 and a GPA of 3.6 - 3.8 (except Baylor and Dartmouth)

Any suggestions (I need 6 more)? How does the current list look?
Free or not, it's still a waste of your time and theirs to apply to OOS MD schools.

You're fine for DO, and with a 510 MCAT score in a competitive state like TX, I strongly recommend it.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
Sep 1, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
University of Washington accepts almost no OOS students except those from neighboring states who they hold seats for.
if you are insistent on applying OOS look at private schools with no IS/OOS Issues. You could add SLU. Loyola, Creighton, Rosalind Franklin, etc.
After looking into it further, you are correct. I will remove University of Washington.

I will add SLU, Rosalind, Creighton, and Loyola. What do you think about Albany?

Sep 1, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Free or not, it's still a waste of your time and theirs to apply to OOS MD schools.

You're fine for DO, and with a 510 MCAT score in a competitive state like TX, I strongly recommend it.
Respectfully, I have to disagree. These schools have relatively higher OOS acceptances and, as such, you never know. Maybe they will view my experiences as a unique addition to their individual school. Especially considering I can apply to those schools for free, why not? If they think my application was a waste of time, then so be it.

I am considering applying DO actually. Just wanted to solidify an MD school list prior to thinking about a DO list as well. I know TCOM is a top-tier DO School. Don't really care about the distinction between MD and DO.

Matching into internal medicine as an MD or DO shouldn't really be a problem, however, since I want sub-specialize, I know attending a competitive residency would put me in a much more favorable position for that. Especially since GI is an extremely competitive sub-specialty.

Another concern of mine is learning OMM. Don't know how applicable it is and don't really have an interest in learning it.

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Respectfully, I have to disagree. These schools have relatively higher OOS acceptances and, as such, you never know. Maybe they will view my experiences as a unique addition to their individual school. Especially considering I can apply to those schools for free, why not? If they think my application was a waste of time, then so be it.

I am considering applying DO actually. Just wanted to solidify an MD school list prior to thinking about a DO list as well. I know TCOM is a top-tier DO School. Don't really care about the distinction between MD and DO.

Matching into internal medicine as an MD or DO shouldn't really be a problem, however, since I want sub-specialize, I know attending a competitive residency would put me in a much more favorable position for that. Especially since GI is an extremely competitive sub-specialty.

Another concern of mine is learning OMM. Don't know how applicable it is and don't really have an interest in learning it.
It's not about OOS. Its that schools know from historical norms that very few Texans leave TX, due to that nice instate tuition.

Those that do are usually superstars. Your chances for MD are best in TX.

Jul 30, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

Unfortunately, there is a bias against Texas residents unless you're a superstar applicant that they're trying to recruit, simply due to TX medical schools being so cheap for in-state residents.

The "high OOS acceptances" are most likely rarely from TX.

According to gyngyn in 2016, only 215 students out of 4254 matriculated to an OOS school as a TX resident. This doesn't tell you how many actually interviewed OOS, but if you were an adcom, why would you choose to interview TX students when it's highly likely they're going to attend a TX school given the choice? It sucks, but that's the way it is.

Obviously these aren't "official" sources, but it does come from adcom members.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.