Advice on dental schools/HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArmyPreDent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is mainly directed at Army Dentists but anyone that has advice is more than welcome and thanked for their time. I am currently a 1LT EN, about to make CPT in the Army Reserves I've been on active duty orders for the last 2 1/2 years between deployments and mobed. I'll be applying this spring for fall of '10. My question is, is there any schools that really like military service? Or do any of you Army Dentists out there have a school that you think I should apply to or for that matter know any admissions folks? Also what other things can I do to make myself a better candidate? Currently my GPA is a little low ( I am trying to bring it up) and I'm shadowing at a local clinic. I was thinking of taking graduate courses in health administration because that’s the closest thing to dental they have on base. Any recommendations would be great. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

This is mainly directed at Army Dentists but anyone that has advice is more than welcome and thanked for their time. I am currently a 1LT EN, about to make CPT in the Army Reserves I've been on active duty orders for the last 2 1/2 years between deployments and mobed. I'll be applying this spring for fall of '10. My question is, is there any schools that really like military service? Or do any of you Army Dentists out there have a school that you think I should apply to or for that matter know any admissions folks? Also what other things can I do to make myself a better candidate? Currently my GPA is a little low ( I am trying to bring it up) and I'm shadowing at a local clinic. I was thinking of taking graduate courses in health administration because that’s the closest thing to dental they have on base. Any recommendations would be great. Thanks

I was in the Natl Guard when I was applying to schools, and it definately is a plus, because it makes you stand out. Most schools have many retired or prior service faculty - and if you happen to interview with one of them it is a plus - I did on many of my interviews. I am not sure if there are any that are more "pro military" than others - but I definately think it is a could thing to work in during the interview process.

High DAT scores can compensate for some of the GPA. Raising your science GPA couldn't hurt either. The health administration classes -can't hurt.

When you do go on active orders - your pay will be higher than most of your peers.