Advice on diversity essay topic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iammaestro

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm finally getting around to tackling the dreaded diversity essay and would love some advice regarding my potential topics:

1. Grew up in North America but in a region where English speakers are a minority (probably not too difficult to guess where haha) and tensions between the linguistic groups still continue today, even up to the governmental level. However, because we're still in NA, the dominant linguistic group still feels marginalized (rightly so in some cases). Throughout my life I've had various experiences that have change my perspective and helped me understand how a person's background/culture can affect what they prioritize or how react in different situations. In short, living here has helped me become more culturally aware and understanding of others even when faced with hostility.

2. I'm a classically trained musician helped start a music-based NPO with the mission to provide mentorship and education equality in underserved communities. We started off as a small club, but are now in the process of becoming a registered charity and expanding nationwide. We've actually worked with lawyers to finalize our registration documents and according to our contact the revenue bureau we should receive a positive decision in the next few weeks. This was actually our second attempt at registration, so I can talk a lot about my resiliency and the teamwork needed to get our organization to the point it is at now.

I do think both could be interesting topics, but #1 does require a decent amount of space to flesh out due to the nuances of the situation and I did something similar in my first application 2 years ago (although I think my current draft of the essay is much more succinct and focuses more on how it affected me compared to the ones I sent).

#2 is something I'm hugely passionate about as I've worked on it for 5 years now, so I've mentioned it in passing in my PS (1 sentence) and already have it listed as an activity in the W/A section of the primary. My biggest non-clinical volunteering also happens to be teaching music for the organization which I listed as most meaningful (the leadership work to create the organization and the volunteer work is distinctly different, so they were listed separately). I'm afraid that I'd be beating a dead horse by mentioning it again in my secondaries even though I have many more stories to tell.

I appreciate any and all comments, thank you guys in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are in the linguistic minority in your region, that is interesting. If you are bilingual, that is useful although it may depend on which languages and how great the demand is in the US for speakers of that second langauge.
If the languages also represent cultural groups and you have learned to navigate both, that contributes to the diversity of the class. If you are outside the US, you may also bring the diversity of having experienced a health care delivery and financing system different than the US and that prings an interesting perspective to discussions.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes on almost all counts! I actually speak three languages, but other than English, they combine for only 13 million of the US population.

Which would you recommend I focus on? Some secondaries are long enough to hit many of those. But for the short ones (1500 characters), I could talk about being in the linguistic minority and how I've worked to navigate the two cultural groups as I can speak both, but my parents couldn't.

Thanks again!