Advice on diversity prompts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cole10101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know this question has been beaten to death, so I do apologize in advance, but I just would like some feedback regarding my idea for a diversity prompt. I am kind of a non-traditional with a not-too-stellar GPA. I have a decent amount of hours as a hospitalist scribe, so I am fairly familiar with critical care and that kind of medicine. Anyway, the reason I bring that up is because I had to take a medical withdrawal during my undergraduate degree for a semester and since starting my post-bacc program, three of my family members have had pretty significant health issues (one diagnosed with a neurocognitive disorder and then got in a bad accident, one had a pretty bad cancer scare, one seemingly-healthy suddenly dying at a pretty young age from what we are assuming was a sudden cardiac arrest). Is discussing the situations I have had to go through as a patient and as the family member of patients and looping it into my experiences working in critical care a good topic for diversity? I know this probably is more of an answer to 'what kind of challenges have you faced' questions, but it is the best I have been able to come up with so far in regards to what sets me apart from other applicants.

The other idea I had was to mention that I am interested in specialties with historically low-number of women (again, critical care, or general surgery), but I am kind of worried about talking about specialties in secondaries.

I appreciate any and all suggestions!

Members don't see this ad.

I’m just a premed, but I think 1 would definitely be an adversity essay (I am sorry to hear what you went through, by the way).

The best advice I received as an ORM, run of the mill applicant was to think about what your friends would say if you asked them what makes you cool. I believe this came from Goro, who is an adcom, so it has a reputable source.

I’m just a premed, but I think 1 would definitely be an adversity essay (I am sorry to hear what you went through, by the way).

The best advice I received as an ORM, run of the mill applicant was to think about what your friends would say if you asked them what makes you cool. I believe this came from Goro, who is an adcom, so it has a reputable source.

Thank you, I appreciate it! Also, that is good advice! All I can think of though is that they would say I am nice, which I don't think would make a very compelling essay. I will definitely think about it from that point of view some more, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, I appreciate it! Also, that is good advice! All I can think of though is that they would say I am nice, which I don't think would make a very compelling essay. I will definitely think about it from that point of view some more, thank you!

You can definitely get creative; it doesn't have to be something that would wow your average person, just something that is a part of your identity and would broaden your perspective as a physician. Mine will be about how I've written poetry since I was a child, and how the process of carefully editing and reconstructing has offered me both insight into the nuance of human experience and the value of synthesizing various pieces for a finished product, much in the same way I may approach differentials as a med student. I'm not a poet laureate or anything, but my hobby offers me some unique insights. I hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 users
You can definitely get creative; it doesn't have to be something that would wow your average person, just something that is a part of your identity and would broaden your perspective as a physician. Mine will be about how I've written poetry since I was a child, and how the process of carefully editing and reconstructing has offered me both insight into the nuance of human experience and the value of synthesizing various pieces for a finished product, much in the same way I may approach differentials as a med student. I'm not a poet laureate or anything, but my hobby offers me some unique insights. I hope that helps.
Oh, that does help a lot, thank you!! I really appreciate it!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

I know this question has been beaten to death, so I do apologize in advance, but I just would like some feedback regarding my idea for a diversity prompt. I am kind of a non-traditional with a not-too-stellar GPA. I have a decent amount of hours as a hospitalist scribe, so I am fairly familiar with critical care and that kind of medicine. Anyway, the reason I bring that up is because I had to take a medical withdrawal during my undergraduate degree for a semester and since starting my post-bacc program, three of my family members have had pretty significant health issues (one diagnosed with a neurocognitive disorder and then got in a bad accident, one had a pretty bad cancer scare, one seemingly-healthy suddenly dying at a pretty young age from what we are assuming was a sudden cardiac arrest). Is discussing the situations I have had to go through as a patient and as the family member of patients and looping it into my experiences working in critical care a good topic for diversity? I know this probably is more of an answer to 'what kind of challenges have you faced' questions, but it is the best I have been able to come up with so far in regards to what sets me apart from other applicants.

The other idea I had was to mention that I am interested in specialties with historically low-number of women (again, critical care, or general surgery), but I am kind of worried about talking about specialties in secondaries.

I appreciate any and all suggestions!
These are adversity essays subjects, not diversity. Every other PS I read is about some medical event the writer went through, either personally or via a close relative or friend.

Being interested in a specialty doesn't add diversity. Far from it.

What makes you cool? What are your unique talents?

Reactions: 1 user
These are adversity essays subjects, not diversity. Every other PS I read is about some medical event the writer went through, either personally or via a close relative or friend.

Being interested in a specialty doesn't add diversity. Far from it.

What makes you cool? What are your unique talents?

But what if you genuinely don't have anything? Literally the only thing I can think of is I have ridden horses since I was a kid, but I can't think of any way that would translate into something worthwhile that is unique.

But what if you genuinely don't have anything? Literally the only thing I can think of is I have ridden horses since I was a kid, but I can't think of any way that would translate into something worthwhile that is unique.
Introspection is a required trait for a doctor

Reactions: 1 users

I understand why introspection is important, but that doesn't mean I can just come up with a quality about myself which makes me unique that doesn't exist.

So serious question, while reading articles about diversity essays, I came across a student who used being overweight as a child as their diversity and expanded upon that. I know that it isn't something necessarily 'cool' (in fact, probably the opposite) about me, but I think I am a pretty empathetic person, and I think part of that stems from being bullied while growing up. Could that be a route I could go down or is that still too much of an adversity topic?

So serious question, while reading articles about diversity essays, I came across a student who used being overweight as a child as their diversity and expanded upon that. I know that it isn't something necessarily 'cool' (in fact, probably the opposite) about me, but I think I am a pretty empathetic person, and I think part of that stems from being bullied while growing up. Could that be a route I could go down or is that still too much of an adversity topic?
1 in 3 Americans is obese or overweight. So, nothing new there.

Did you learn anything from riding horses?