Advice on finishing organic chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

piernas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a 25 year old nontrad…I am planning on applying for 2009. I have completed most of my prereqs (1-year Chem, Physics, and Bio). Here is my dilemma…I took a semester of Organic Chem when I was a sophomore in college (no lab, lab was only second semester). I am having a hard time figuring out how to finish up Organic.

My local state school only offers Organic in the morning (which conflicts with my full-time work schedule). The community college in my area has multiple campuses. Since traffic is horrible where I live, and I can’t drive to work (most everyone has to take public transportation), I am limited to the campus close to my job. I would be able to start with Organic I in the winter. I am ok with taking it over, but I wouldn’t be finished with the year long sequence until submitting my application. I also know there is a stigma associated with community colleges and pre-med reqs. My third option would be taking the course online (the course I was looking at offered a lab). But, some medical schools may not accept online courses….

I guess a good solution would be to find a more flexible job, but seeing that I don’t have too many more courses to finish, I’m not sure I want to do that…What do you all recommend?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am a 25 year old nontrad…I am planning on applying for 2009. I have completed most of my prereqs (1-year Chem, Physics, and Bio). Here is my dilemma…I took a semester of Organic Chem when I was a sophomore in college (no lab, lab was only second semester). I am having a hard time figuring out how to finish up Organic.

My local state school only offers Organic in the morning (which conflicts with my full-time work schedule). The community college in my area has multiple campuses. Since traffic is horrible where I live, and I can’t drive to work (most everyone has to take public transportation), I am limited to the campus close to my job. I would be able to start with Organic I in the winter. I am ok with taking it over, but I wouldn’t be finished with the year long sequence until submitting my application. I also know there is a stigma associated with community colleges and pre-med reqs. My third option would be taking the course online (the course I was looking at offered a lab). But, some medical schools may not accept online courses….

I guess a good solution would be to find a more flexible job, but seeing that I don’t have too many more courses to finish, I’m not sure I want to do that…What do you all recommend?

Thanks!

You do not have to finish pre-reqs before applying, only before matriculating.

And community college is perfectly acceptable for what you need to do. I have no idea about online courses, but that sounds shaky to me...I would be wary of that without confirmation from med schools that they would accept such a class...

If you aren't applying till next year, you have two years to work it out, this one and the actual application year.

I was in the same situation this year. I didn't have Orgo II when I submitted my application in June.

I approached my boss and told him of my situation and the absolute need for completeing that last class. Between taking some vacation time and him letting me come in later than normal for a couple weeks I was able to knock out a summer school course in Orgo II.

Once I completed the course at the beginning of this month, I just emailed my schools and told them my grade. Worked out fine.

I wouldn't do the internet thing, at least not for a science course.

Have you taken the MCAT yet?